PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton C Rebuild

Halifax614
10th Sep 2020, 10:11 PM
The saddle/main carriage is now finished. No real dramas. The only real fault was the saddle lock that could never have operated fully & correctly as the component parts were locking up against a lump in the front face casting; easily remedied. Dismantle, clean, remove surface rust & poor paint & check all the parts. Minimal wear overall. Minor rectifications as necessary, paint & re-assemble.

Was... Is now - back on the bed...

Next job; the chuck as it was....

388622 Stiff to operate & looks a bit rough externally.

And after a strip & clean-up...

388607388608 Actually found in very good condition once all the gunk was cleaned out, minor corrosion removed & the scroll & jaws were freed enough to move. Now operates smoothly. Jaw grip faces appear to be good. It is a 'TOS' brand of 125mm dia. Is that a Czech company?

Now moving on to the tailstock.... It appears to have been shot off the end of the bed & bounced on the floor at some time in its history. (Wobbly shaft & cracked hand-wheel plus the eye bolt or cross-shaft inside appears damaged). Not unusual I think, when there is no end-stop on the lathe bed to prevent that happening. I'll have to find a way to prevent that re-occuring.

388610 Work in progress currently...
Thanks to Baron J for pointing out that the pictures went awol initially.

BaronJ
11th Sep 2020, 06:08 AM
Halifax, you need to reload your pictures !

danshell
23rd Sep 2020, 11:06 AM
I just found this thread and I have to say wow you have really brought that old girl back to life.

I love restoring old equipment like this, well done for your efforts so far.

Keep the pictures coming.