PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton C model

Halifax614
2nd Aug 2020, 03:26 PM
Could any other owners of the above type of lathe please confirm the standard elec. motor size, i.e. HP/Kw?
Thanks...

BaronJ
2nd Aug 2020, 06:14 PM
Hi Halifax614,

I would have thought that anything between 1/2 and 1 Hp would be fine. My Myford, similar in size is 1/2 Hp 1440 RPM motor.

Halifax614
6th Aug 2020, 08:32 PM
Hi BaronJ. Thank you for that info.

Halifax614
15th Sep 2020, 07:41 PM
The data plate is partly illegible on the drive motor on the Sheraton, but it appears to indicate 1 HP at least; plus it's quite a sizeable old Aust. built unit. 1960's or 70's I think. It did run but sounded very grumbly, bearings obviously rough, so I stripped & checked it. Stator insulation resistance very good. Windings test & look good - no cooking evident. Start cap open circuit - should be 240 microfarads. Bearings pooped. Generally full of mud dauber wasp crap as usual. Rebuilt it today with new 6203 bearings & a new cap & a good clean out. Runs smoothly, Draws over 12 amps at start & runs at 4.5 amps according to the clamp meter, which says to me that it's gotta be about 1.5 HP in old money. From what Baron J says that's about 2 to 3 times as powerful as it needs to be! No wonder the mounting plate arrangements look somewhat altered, & not for the better.

BaronJ
15th Sep 2020, 08:41 PM
Hi Halifax614,

Yes I agree I get just short of 1.5 Hp based on 230 V and 4.5 Amps. Certainly you will have plenty of grunt with it. Until you get used to the lathe I would run it with a slack belt so that it will slip if you do something that might cause damage.

I slack the belt off on mine when I'm tapping using back gear under power, gives you a chance to back the tap out before you break it. I just use enough belt tension to drive the chuck. Works well for 4 BA into steel, though I much prefer to do bigger threaded holes under power.