PDA

View Full Version : Small Foundry recommendation Prefer SEQLD North NSW

Reidy41
13th Jul 2020, 06:17 PM
As the title suggests I am looking for recommendations for a foundry in preferably SE QLD or Northern NSW who is happy to take on small runs or individual jobs in cast iron. I would also be interested in an experienced hobbyist that may like to take on a job with appropriate remuneration.
The items that I would like cast are a pair of cylinders for a 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle. I have access to a set of patterns that were made a number of years ago by a now deceased gentleman. As I understand it he made a few sets before ill health took over and they ended up in the hands of a mate of mine.

To give an idea I have included a couple of photos of a cylinder that was cast in aluminium as an experiment.

I would have one set cast and if the patterns work as expected would look at having another two or three sets made as the pattern owner would like some. As most of you here would recognize the casting is only part of the processing as these need machining to finish and neither of us want to go into mass production, hence the need for a small skilled foundry.

If someone has a good front cylinder for a 48 Indian Chief that they want to sell I would be very interested.

Thanks Steve

SurfinNev
13th Jul 2020, 07:48 PM
We do some zinc plating for Large's Foundry in Toowoomba. Their cast iron stuff looks pretty good. Not sure if they can do want you want but no harm asking.

Reidy41
13th Jul 2020, 08:22 PM
We do some zinc plating for Large's Foundary in Toowoomba. Their cast iron stuff looks pretty good. Not sure if they can do want you want but no harm asking.

Thanks, I did not know of them. Whenever I googled Toowoomba Foundry I was just getting hits about the old Southern Cross Foundry. I will give them a try as they are only 90k's away.

Steve