PDA

View Full Version : Clutch assembly help please.

Vicval01
31st May 2020, 07:38 PM
In the process of slowly going through the different parts of the Sheraton.
I removed the plate behind the clutch assembly and I saw the two half shells and half disks. One of the disks appeared like it had fallen out of the slot. (Excuse my ignorance of the correct names).

Once cleaned, I attempted to re-assemble. I just can't get the half disks to fit in the slots at the same time as getting them in the shells. After trying for about an hour, I figured I'd ask here and see if I can have a face palm moment. Any advice please?

This pic is from the net, a Hercus that looks like it is supposed to, and the other pics are of my apron.
https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/mcruff/Southbend%20lathe/Carriageassembly.jpg386881386882386883

KBs PensNmore
31st May 2020, 07:58 PM
Vic, was there any grease or similar in that/those parts?
Wondering if a SMALL dob of grease in the "slots" would help hold them in place.
If you can't have grease there, would a couple of small magnets hold the half against the shell, with the shell not all the way in?
Kryn

Vicval01
31st May 2020, 08:18 PM
There was no grease anywhere.
The issue with getting the disks in, is that about about 1mm of the outside edge of the disks run up against the outer edge of the shells.
They fit in fine when off the spindle, but the slots in the spindle make them expand out too much.

BaronJ
1st Jun 2020, 01:03 AM
Hi Vic,

Not easy to see, but is there a spring on the shaft at the back ? And does the shaft move backwards and
forwards ?

I think that is a spring and spring pressure holds those retaining plates in place.

Vicval01
1st Jun 2020, 08:59 AM
Yes, I've had the shaft out. The spring is there. It's not so much the retaining of the disks, but working out how to fit them in. I get that the slots in the shaft hold them in place. It just seems that the outside edge of the disk is about half a mm wider then the shell when trying to get them to fit in the slot of the shaft as well.
The disks fit in the shell without the shaft, but the shaft makes the disks push outward just that little bit.

Ray-s
1st Jun 2020, 10:13 AM
I can't speak from experience but are the photos / description of this Hercus rebuild of any use?

hercus page 5 (http://steammachine.com/hercus/page5.html)

Vicval01
1st Jun 2020, 11:21 AM
Ah! The disks go in at an angle! Thank you, that rebuild link will make all the difference. 😁

Vicval01
1st Jun 2020, 11:51 AM
Did it in 1 minute flat
Thanks again! 386906386907