PDA

View Full Version : Chevron 7 clubman resto

Snapey
21st May 2020, 12:16 AM
For many years I've restored, ridden and raced anything on two or three wheels but I've decided I need a change of scenery so yesterday I started a new project that takes me back 55 years to when car racing was my thing. Last Saturday I bought a Chevron 7 Clubman. A real seat of the pants open sports car that weighs less than 600kg and with bugger all luxuries but something I've wanted since seeing a Lotus Super 7 in the '50's. This shape has been copied by many companies over the years either as a basic kit or a turn key complete car so when I saw the Chevron at what I thought a good price I had to have it.These first photo's are what the seller used in his ad.

This car is very low and with my back problem I needed it at a workable height so today was spend making four dolly's to not only get the height but the ability to move it around the workshop.

Tomorrow I'll start pulling bits off but before I go too far I want to test the engine. Unfortunately the Webers pictured above didn't come with the car so there won't be any engine noises until I source another set. When last on the road it was running on LPG so because I'm converting back to petrol I need to make a fuel tank along with a million other little things.

Chris Parks
21st May 2020, 11:38 AM
For what it is worth and my experience with tuning multiple carby set ups over many years I would put injection on it. It is far more simple to tune and is basically set and forget along with easier starting especially for a car that might not be used for extended periods. Modern injection systems are basically plug and play these days or being a Toyota motor a wrecker would have the mechanical bits. Webers are a pain and there are less and less people who really can tune them v's the people who think they can and they are also sensitive to atmospheric changes. Good luck with the project, clubmans are a bundle of fun to drive.

Snapey
21st May 2020, 01:02 PM
Injection was the first thing I thought of Chris but decided that carbies would be easier to set up seeing an ECU isn't required. Maybe a trip to the local Toyota wreckers would be the best option. I'm told the motor is good but I'm open to alternatives.

Chris Parks
21st May 2020, 05:16 PM
Injection was the first thing I thought of Chris but decided that carbies would be easier to set up seeing an ECU isn't required. Maybe a trip to the local Toyota wreckers would be the best option. I'm told the motor is good but I'm open to alternatives.

I would be looking at injection and coil on plug ignition possibly all from a late model Toyota. The modern ECU's from Haltech or similar are fantastic pieces of kit.

GuzziJohn
21st May 2020, 06:42 PM
It's only 2 carbys. How hard could it be :U.

If you are considering injection at least use a pair of weber style throttle bodies to maintain that classic look.

Hunch
21st May 2020, 07:03 PM
LPG tank in a 7 must be interesting! I can probably recommend a couple of places that are pretty handy with DCOEs and have the required emulsion tubes, jets and chokes on hand - a bit of a distance from Picnic Pt though - you've also got to contend with old worn out carbs or the later knock-offs with questionable QC.

Chris Parks
21st May 2020, 07:40 PM
It's only 2 carbys. How hard could it be :U.

If you are considering injection at least use a pair of weber style throttle bodies to maintain that classic look.

Carbys are right when they are initially set but as soon as the aiir pressure changes they have lost that optimum even if by chance someone accidently got them spot on after many hours of work. People used to say SU's were the worst at this but in my experience Webers are at least as bad. I would put four ITB's on it from a bike and go from there. Plug on coil using a Haltech or similar and when the tune is right it will be permanently set. I think the top bloke in Sydney is Castle Hill Exhaust for information on the best way to go, he has a long and deep knowledge of this sort of stuff.

Chris Parks
21st May 2020, 10:02 PM
My thinking for a project like this is the vehicle is a toy to be enjoyed and if you can jump in it and it goes with no issue then it is enjoyable and gets used. If you have to fiddle with it every time you want to go and have a drive it quickly loses the fun factor and is not driven. Modern systems ensure it will go every time you want to drive it. I nearly talked my son into buying one once but I was unsuccessful because I live near one of Sydney's ultimate driving roads and the combination of both was very appealing. He bought a Superkart instead and I lucked out.

Snapey
22nd May 2020, 05:03 AM
Before I go much further with this project I think need to find a club or group for help. I have no problems with painting, upholstery and the mechanical side of things but when it come to electrics I'm lost. Fuel injection is the way to go but do I just bolt on a set of GSX1400 throttle bodies I have and get a Haltech ECU or buy a complete car like a 2000 Corolla I'm looking at. I prefer the car option because I need a fuel tank and a better wiring job than what's there now.386738 Not a lot happened yesterday except for removing a few body parts. Most of the time was spent tripping over the dog and 386741386742finding the right spanner to fit the Whitworth, metric and AF bolts.

Hunch
22nd May 2020, 11:34 AM
Surely you'd put a fabricated tank, rather than a production car one in a 7. Usual cornering abilities exceed a standard sedan...and most of those suffer starvation pushed within the limitations of road tyres.

As to the motorcycle TBs, I'd probably look towards a 20v set for a relatively straight forward bolt-on, I think I might even know someone with a set.

Back in the day, the PRB boys all used to run SMC autronics on the toyotas. They're obsolete , but stoneaxe reliable and probably more than sufficient for this thing unless you wanted to go all-singing and you can usually pick them up for 2 used bottlecaps.....or less than 1 weber.

Chris Parks
22nd May 2020, 11:42 AM
There is a Clubman forum for online help if that suits you or maybe one of the Toyota forums may be of help but I have found over the years that there is generally one or two people who know what they are doing on fora and you need to find them. PM me with your contact details and I can suggest stuff, I have sort of been down this road before, for instance the electricals and data systems on our kart was worth well north of $10000 and that is a place you need not go unless you want to. A bit of planning before pulling everything apart is time well taken in my book.

Electrical systems are a pet hate for me because most are not well done. Harnesses can be bought and if possible modifying a factory harness is practical and if done properly reliable. The fuel tank you will have to get made for two reasons, one is the fact that it is unlikely you can buy one and the second is that tanks for FI are different to tanks with carbies because they have a swirl pot in them fed by a second pump.

Is this going to be a track car or road car and is it already registered? Here is a link to the Performance Forum that goes to a thread on a Clubman and could have links to other sources. Be very aware that this forum has no borders when it comes to bad language and telling people where to go and what do in a very few words but it does have some pretty good knowledgable guys. The thread is from 2013 so keep that mind and it is quite long. I don't live a million miles from you and my son is good at electronics in cars as he works for a Mazda dealer as theiir go to guy for electronics and he did lot of stuff on the kart. Ultimately you need to decide exactly how far you want to go so send me a PM and we can have a chat. These projects always seem to get bigger than we planned, it is the way of the world.

https://performanceforums.com/forums/forum/car-corner/pf-street-cars/180881-prb-clubman

Chris Parks
22nd May 2020, 11:48 AM
Surely you'd put a fabricated tank, rather than a production car one in a 7. Usual cornering abilities exceed a standard sedan...and most of those suffer starvation pushed within the limitations of road tyres.

As to the motorcycle TBs, I'd probably look towards a 20v set for a relatively straight forward bolt-on, I think I might even know someone with a set.

Back in the day, the PRB boys all used to run SMC autronics on the toyotas. They're obsolete , but stoneaxe reliable and probably more than sufficient for this thing unless you wanted to go all-singing and you can usually pick them up for 2 used bottlecaps.....or less than 1 weber.

You would know far more than me on clubbies and point him to putting the ITB on etc. I didn't read your post before I wrote my last one.

Chris Parks
22nd May 2020, 02:07 PM
This page has links to fora etc ClubbiesSA Links Page (http://www.clubbiessa.com/clubbie_links.shtml)

Snapey
22nd May 2020, 06:14 PM
Many thanks for that information Chris ... I'll go through it over the weekend.

Registration ... I wish. Before I bought the car I phoned a guy in Qld who's selling a similar looking car with the same grill as mine who told me his car has a VIN and build date on the RH chassis rail. That gave me hope of fairly easy rego but I can't find a number anywhere so registering it might not be so easy after all. Surely a manufacturer would stamp something on a frame. Next week I'm going to see the guy who does my blue slips to see just what it takes to get a VIN issued and who a local engineer might be.

At the moment I'm on hold until I find out about rego so tomorrow the Katana is getting an outing.

Hunch
25th May 2020, 09:03 AM
You would know far more than me on clubbies and point him to putting the ITB on etc. I didn't read your post before I wrote my last one.

Don't know about that too much! Have associated with a few clubbie types on the competition side for decades, ironically they were probably the ones that killed-off their own fairly even, well attended series with upgradeitis.

Were the Chevrons available in kit and built form, like the Westfields? That might explain lack of chassis#.

Snapey
25th May 2020, 09:50 AM
Were the Chevrons available in kit and built form, like the Westfields? That might explain lack of chassis#.

Only 30 minutes ago I emailed Chevron in NZ asking about the lack of numbers and included a few photo's in the hope he can confirm if it is a Chevron and an approximate build date. Looking at their web site they mention the first clubman appeared in 1984 and as a kit.

Chris Parks
25th May 2020, 01:03 PM
Just my approach, I would pick up the phone instead of email and have a chat. I think the personal approach gets things moving very quickly and five minutes of phone is worth a month of back and forth emails. I also find that establishing a personal link by phone occasionely after the first call is a positive thing as well. Our engine builder was in NZ and I was always on the phone to him, sometimes daily and it paid off because we got good results.

Snapey
25th May 2020, 06:56 PM
Phoning was no doubt the best way to first communicate but I also wanted to send photo's. That's probably possible for most people but I have no idea how to send a text message on my phone.

Chris Parks
25th May 2020, 07:02 PM
Phoning was no doubt the best way to first communicate but I also wanted to send photo's. That's probably possible for most people but I have no idea how to send a text message on my phone.

You and me both, up until recently my mobile phone lived in the car and I used to look at it every few months to check it was still on. Sadly these days I have to re-learn life with a mobile due to new business commitments and I still haven't worked out how to do more than talk on it.

droog
25th May 2020, 11:52 PM
If you do happen to find a set of second hand DCOE Weber’s they will most likely need a full rebuild, the cost for this is high and finding someone good these days is hard.
New DCOE’s are expensive and there are a lot of cheaper reproductions that have a reputation for being not quite right with passages in the wrong location, making tuning difficult sometimes impossible.

There are fuel injection setups that are based on DCOE body styles https://www.efihardware.com/products/c99/DCOE-Type-throttle-bodies
you end up with something that looks very old school but you enjoy the tuning and drivability of EFI.

Snapey
26th May 2020, 07:13 PM
Where to from here? Apparently getting an engineer to certify an individually constructed vehicle (ICV) in NSW is almost impossible and if you can find that engineer he will be extremely expensive. So it appears I have a track day car unless ICV legislation changes in NSW or I try to get interstate rego. I do want to restore this car but a lot of the incentive has gone and what ever money I spend now is probably wasted. :? :~

Chris Parks
26th May 2020, 07:22 PM
Where to from here? Apparently getting an engineer to certify an individually constructed vehicle (ICV) in NSW is almost impossible and if you can find that engineer he will be extremely expensive. So it appears I have a track day car unless ICV legislation changes in NSW or I try to get interstate rego. I do want to restore this car but a lot of the incentive has gone and what ever money I spend now is probably wasted. :? :~

So, no VIN or chassis number I presume or any possibility of getting one? Have you been able to ascertain any history? As a way out idea the hot rod guys have some arrangement for new cars that are self built, I wonder how they do that. Have a rat through this link to see if it is applicable to your case https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=registering+a+new+hot+rod+for+the+first+time&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hunch
27th May 2020, 08:34 PM
Apparently getting an engineer to certify an individually constructed vehicle (ICV) in NSW is almost impossible and if you can find that engineer he will be extremely expensive.

The red tape and hoops to jump through killed the local manufacturer....and the rules and regs are worse now.

A friend was getting a bike engined clubman engineered with someone in the central west - which I thought was impossible from an emissions standpoint - might ask if he got any dollar figure there, or has a contact, if you want to pursue it further.

Chris Parks
27th May 2020, 08:49 PM
I sold a car to a guy who had built a Cobra and had to hire Oran Park to do a brake test. He had the money so it didn't worry him too much, he was just p'd of that he had to go too so much trouble.

KBs PensNmore
27th May 2020, 09:09 PM
I got asked to do a roll bar for a fibreglass VW Beach Buggy, that got defected, it was quite an effort that the vehicle had to go through. The plates to the floor was OK, but the bracing plates had to be about 150mm square,8mm thick with a 25mm radii on the corners, so that they wouldn't punch through the back into the engine bay. The plates there had to be the same size, but could be 3mm thick and HT Bolts holding it all together.
Also used to do VW Golf conversions into convertibles, and a Camaro into a convertible, the floor ended up at about 28 mm thick, as it had to be braced with 25 X 50 X 3mm RHS with 1.6 sheet on top, plus another 1.6 sheet welded underneath. It was set up on some I Beams with hydraulic jacks, chains and clamps on the vehicle to the beams, with Dial Indicators at about 20 different points, for a twisting test, it did pass, but only just.
These were engineered by Tonkin Engineering in Adelaide, I did have the actual contacts name, but it eludes me ATM, if this was any help.
Kryn

Snapey
27th May 2020, 09:30 PM
The red tape and hoops to jump through killed the local manufacturer....and the rules and regs are worse now.

A friend was getting a bike engined clubman engineered with someone in the central west - which I thought was impossible from an emissions standpoint - might ask if he got any dollar figure there, or has a contact, if you want to pursue it further.

That would be Treeve from Orange. It was him who posted on one of the clubman forums about the almost impossible situation regarding IVO's in NSW. I'd be interested to see how your friend got on but unfortunately I've given up on getting mine registered so it's now just a restoration project.

Hunch
28th May 2020, 06:53 AM
That would be Treeve from Orange. It was him who posted on one of the clubman forums about the almost impossible situation regarding IVO's in NSW. I'd be interested to see how your friend got on but unfortunately I've given up on getting mine registered so it's now just a restoration project.

Sounds about the right area.

He sold, or maybe still has that clubbie on the market. Due to a long-term medical condition worsening, he had to give the project away finally about a year or 18 months ago. I don't recall how far he progressed in the bureaucratic jungle in the end, but I'll ask.

Chris Parks
28th May 2020, 11:48 AM
A bike engine in a road car is hard to do because of no reverse gear but there have been work arounds done.

Snapey
28th May 2020, 05:59 PM
It appears that this car has never been on the road judging by the condition of the parts I've removed. Just about everything looks new but it's also been parked for a long time so both front & back brakes will need replacing or hopefully just kits for the front calipers. Today I took the last piece off the frame so tomorrow I can begin painting or at least preparing.

Progress so far,386854386855386856

Chris Parks
28th May 2020, 06:25 PM
I wonder if it has been privately imported and they then found out it could not be registered with no numbers.

Snapey
28th May 2020, 07:18 PM
I wonder if it has been privately imported and they then found out it could not be registered with no numbers.

The bloke I bought it from said his seller was a man in his 80's. I'm interested myself about the car's history so I'll see if I can get the old fella's address of phone number.

Edit ... I just contacted the PO who informed me the old gentleman who built the car passed away before finishing it so I certainly won't be getting any info off him.

Snapey
6th Jun 2020, 02:25 AM
I've finally found out the make of this clubman thanks to a moderator on the SA Clubbie site who happens to know the gentlemen who produced them. Hopefully he'll be able to give me a run down of the cars history after he contacts them.

It's a copy of the NZ made Chevron and called a Shadow 7. They were fitted with Toyota 4A-GE engines and LPG powered with Torana suspension ... same as mine. I've stripped the car completely to check for worn parts and is now back together minus tins & wiring until I decide whether to finish it as originally made or go over to petrol & change the colour. 387018

KBs PensNmore
6th Jun 2020, 10:00 AM
Was the moderator able to give you any info on being able to get it registered???
Were the components all OK, or did you have to do some replacements?
Thanks for the WIP reports.
Kryn

Snapey
6th Jun 2020, 12:44 PM
I think full NSW rego is out of the question but club rego may not although I'm not confident there either. One avenue I'll look in to is an unregistered vehicle permit similar to the rego's that golfers who use mini bikes must have if they have to cross a road.

Chris Parks
6th Jun 2020, 01:01 PM
What are you doing, carbies or EFI? Did you watch the Project Binkey episodes where they did the wiring?

Snapey
6th Jun 2020, 06:17 PM
What are you doing, carbies or EFI? Did you watch the Project Binkey episodes where they did the wiring?

Good question Chris but one I don't have an answer to. EFI was always in the too hard basket so it was going to be carbies ... but what sort? In the end I decided on a set from a CBR900 but since getting the information on the car I'm contemplating leaving it as it left the factory which was LPG. That all depends if an LPG inspector deems the bits I have are usable or not. If not then it's bike carbies.

I started watching Project Binkey but didn't see it all then totally forgot about it until this reminder. It's now written on the notice board.

Chris Parks
6th Jun 2020, 08:29 PM
I'll talk you into EFI yet!:) I reckon find a Corolla in a wrecking yard and pull everything out of it or buy the whole car. Here is the link to project Binky where they start attacking the wiring harness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXT1sHP92w&list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq&index=19

Snapey
6th Jun 2020, 09:24 PM
Just watched it Chris. I'd think about EFI if I could get that bloke to do the wiring. What a neat job.

Chris Parks
6th Jun 2020, 09:40 PM
I could possibly organise some expertise for that if you decide to go that way but he might want a drive! The other possibility is use a Haltech and they do harnesses to suit the ECU. Drew my son and retired superkart driver is a little manic when it comes to wiring but then so am I. We never had an electrical issue on the kart where every other kart did and it was only down to using good terminations and connectors.

Snapey
23rd Jun 2020, 07:27 PM
Things have slowed a bit with the clubman while I sourced carbies which I now have. They're CBR600 Honda ones so I'm in the throws of making the manifold ATM. The wiring is still in the learning stage but I'm getting closer as the engine now turns over. Hopefully it won't be too long before I hear loud noises. It looks a totally different car with the colour change.387352

Hunch
26th Jun 2020, 11:11 AM
Been probably 10 years since I've used a UVP, but chassis number was part of the process. Duncan Gay did rework some of this a few years ago I believe when he was roads minister, to make it more friendly. Funny half the RMS staff were unfamiliar with the convoluted bureaucratic process back then and we ended up shopping registries to get the "correct" response for something not entirely kosher.

Com_VC
28th Jun 2020, 06:35 PM
There is a some videos on you tube about wiring up a haltech, it goes into all the details about tools, crimping terminals, routing wires etc. There are 9 episodes at the moment. Worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNfRaM_P04&t

Snapey
3rd Jul 2020, 12:08 AM
For over a week I've been trying to start this monster and it's got me stumped. It wants to start and fires during cranking but anything more than zero throttle and the firing stops. My main problem is very low compression with an average of about 55 psi / cylinder. This will be addressed later but I thought that wouldn't stop it starting. Cam and ignition timing are perfect, as are valve clearances, spark was strong but that's weakened over the week so new plugs & coil are coming. The carbies should, and will have an air box but I still expect it to start without one ... albeit out of tune. There's a short video of it cranking and a photo of the carby setup.

There are many things about this car that aren't helping the situation, namely low compression, no air box, a points and not an electronic distributor and a questionable exhaust manifold but even with a gut full of Start Ya Bastard there's nothing. It's an interesting situation to say the least.387421

droog
3rd Jul 2020, 05:07 PM
Will it run on aero-start or start-ya-bastard ?

Sounds like its a problem with not enough fuel, do you know the history of the carbs and if they have been modified ?

Edit- sorry I see you tried start-ya-bastard, did it make any difference ? And have you tried advancing / retarding the spark a few degrees ?

Snapey
3rd Jul 2020, 06:18 PM
I've tried all of the above Droog. It's a weird situation because the thing that you'd think would make it go (fuel) does the opposite. Even the firing when cranking stops when petrol or even Start Ya Bastard is sprayed in to the carbies. That being the situation I'm wondering if there's no spark above cranking speed so maybe a clutch start is worth a try.

The carbies came off a running motorcycle but I stripped them anyway although I'm giving them to a bike mechanic mate for his opinion.

droog
3rd Jul 2020, 06:52 PM
Is there any remains of ECU control on the engine at all or simple dizzy / points ?

Other thing is that often the ignition switch provides full 12v to the coil when cranking but drops back using a ballast resistor in run. Check there is volts on the coil in run position think it is around 8-10 volts of course load will determine actual voltage.

Snapey
20th Jul 2020, 11:23 PM
It's been a while since I looked at getting the car to run but it got the better of me today. Out with the distributor for a thorough going over & decided to get a new cap although the one fitted looks OK. Although the coil tests OK with the multi meter I decided to get it tested by an auto electrician but then noticed a small sign that had been covered by the clamp .... "MUST USE A RESISTOR". In the box of tricks that came with the car was a resistor which I fitted.

Crank it over and the bloody thing ran ... terribly and only at idle revs but it was going. Give it fuel and it dies so there's a carburetor problem. I always had concerns about the bike carbies and a pair of 40 DCOE Webers came up on Ebay today so I bit the bullet & pick them up tomorrow.

Hopefully the jetting is close as the carbs came off a similar Toyota 1.6 engine so after fitting repair kits I'm hoping that the Webers are the answer. I'll let you know.

droog
21st Jul 2020, 09:43 AM
a pair of 40 DCOE Webers came up on Ebay today so I bit the bullet & pick them up tomorrow.

:2tsup:
You won’t look back, they are a bit of work to get set up properly but well worth it.

GuzziJohn
21st Jul 2020, 05:07 PM
I'm hoping that the Webers are the answer. I'll let you know.

Hard to beat the classic look of webers. Definitely worth the effort.

Snapey
31st Jul 2020, 12:16 AM
It's taken forever but this engine is now running beautifully. The Webers were a good starting point as they came off a going 1.6 Toyota motor but the Honda carbs are an unknown. Once knowing that fuel was sorted I needed to look at spark so Ebay came good with an electronic distributor module & non resister type coil. First hit of the starter and it roared in to life.

Now I know the sparks are OK I'm going to sort those Honda carbs.

Fast Freddie
22nd Aug 2020, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure if you picked up a link to this forum, but they were really helpful when I built my clubbie. There are links to state-based groups inside and they all seem to play nicely together, with an annual weekend away whose location changes from year to year (at least it did when I was active).
www.ozclubbies.com.au (http://www.ozclubbies.com.au)
Enjoy!

Snapey
24th Aug 2020, 09:14 PM
I did post on the Oz Clubbie site but got nowhere. Lots of suggestions and genuine help from most but there's also the few smart arses.

Snapey
5th Sep 2020, 11:26 PM
I now have a choice of induction ... 2 x DCOE 40 Webers or 4 x Honda CBR600 carbs. The car goes equally as well which ever lot I use. The suspension at both ends is sorted & I'm looking forward to our first day at the track. The brakes played up on todays test run but I'm hoping a new master cylinder will fix that.

I needed to clean up the work area so I left the car in my driveway then my neighbour arrived home with his white toy.388521

Chris Parks
5th Sep 2020, 11:41 PM
If the brakes have been sitting around and not used I would overhaul all cylinders and possibly new flexible lines. What track are you going to run it on? You definitely want good brakes at Wakefield before the corner onto the straight.

Snapey
6th Sep 2020, 08:44 AM
I think you're spot on with the flexible lines Chris. The brakes work well but are binding ... especially on full lock. Track? Probably Luddenham until everything's sorted.

Chris Parks
6th Sep 2020, 11:49 AM
For the price of a few seal kits I would be overhauling the whole lot, hitting something will be more expensive than the kits. If you need compressed air or help in any way to get the pistons out give me a call and we can do it here because caliper pistons can be damned hard to remove. I used to use a grease gun through a nipple I screwed into the bleeder, they always came out then!

Hunch
6th Sep 2020, 11:53 AM
If you get it sorted, spoke to a mate a few weeks back, the Wednesdays at Wakefield apparently are still going despite the black death. He runs a self built 7, 4ag powered.

Weird, haven't seen many of those Ruf style 911s since they proliferated in the 80s and early 90s. Must be skip loads of those slope noses around, after prices took off for air-cooleds and everyone converted back to classic!

Snapey
6th Sep 2020, 07:01 PM
The brakes are good Chris it's the binding I need to fix. The front calipers have new seals & pads and the rear drums were machined with new linings and wheel cylinders fitted. The master cylinder is new but not one I like so once I replace the flexible hoses then the master cylinder will go if there's no improvement. Hunch, My neighbour does like his Porsches but also has a soft spot for red. 388543 Wakefield on Wednesdays sounds good.

Snapey
18th Sep 2020, 08:36 PM
Seeing the clubman is now a track only car I needed something to get it to those tracks so this weeks project was a trailer. The mudguards are yet to be made along with some other small details but I'm happy with progress so far.388771388772

Chris Parks
18th Sep 2020, 10:05 PM
That's a good looking trailer, did you resolve the brake issues?

Snapey
18th Sep 2020, 11:02 PM
did you resolve the brake issues?

Too busy building the trailer Chris but I intend looking at the brakes over the weekend.

Snapey
30th Oct 2020, 03:39 AM
The brake issues have been solved by replacing the single master cylinder with two. The trailer is finished and was registered just in time for a trip to Cobar to pick up a clubman with NSW rego. It needs a detail but that can wait while I enjoy a few drives around town.389372

Chris Parks
30th Oct 2020, 10:58 AM
The brake issues have been solved by replacing the single master cylinder with two. The trailer is finished and was registered just in time for a trip to Cobar to pick up a clubman with NSW rego. It needs a detail but that can wait while I enjoy a few drives around town.389372

That looks pretty smart, now you have clubmen? :U My son has looked at buying one several times but because he has short arms and long pockets he can't justify the purchase. Have you run the first one on the track yet?

Snapey
30th Oct 2020, 10:43 PM
Have you run the first one on the track yet?

Not yet ... too many more important things to do around the house.

Snapey
29th Sep 2023, 06:22 AM
Where did those 3 years go since my last post on this subject. I only sold it a couple of months ago but in those 3 years I stayed with the bike carbs, fitted cycle guards, complete rewire and a colour change. It was an absolute pleasure to drive ... just a shame about the rego situation.403919403920403921

KBs PensNmore
29th Sep 2023, 03:40 PM
A very nice looking little vehicle, one of our previous employees had one, NICE.
Trust the governmint to change rules an spoil peoples idea of a fun time.:((
The reason governmint made stealing illegal, is they don't want competition.
Kryn

BaronJ
29th Sep 2023, 06:16 PM
Hi Guys,

It looks a bit like the Lotus 7 Kit car, I had one quite a few years ago ! Frighteningly fast ! Mine had a Rover 3.5 Ltr all alloy engine in it.