PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton 9 inch model a lathe

tharindu
12th Apr 2020, 02:33 PM
Hi I'am trying to find a counter shaft pulley for my Sheraton model A .
Any one know where to get one from?

BrazOmatic
7th May 2020, 12:14 PM
Hi, You could likely use (or adapt) a Hercus pulley but they are different. Otherwise go onto ebay US and search for a South Bend 9in countershaft pulley. It will be the same as the Sheraton and will likely be easier than the Hercus adaptation.

tharindu
3rd Jun 2020, 11:51 PM
Hi sorry for lathe response .
Thank you very much for the advice . Hercus pulley is A section I think . So is southbend pulley is a b section like sheraton ?
Thank you very much again.

pipeclay
4th Jun 2020, 09:08 AM
Most Southbend 9's are flat belt, there are some Vee belt 9's but these are limited, and I think they are A's.
You may need to make your own if a replacement can not be found.

BrazOmatic
4th Jun 2020, 09:15 AM
"sorry for the lathe response" Lol:U I love it!

Right, in all seriousness, I thought you were talking about the big pulley/bullwheel on the end of the countershaft that the motor drives. If you are talking about the stepped pulley that's a different story. Regarding the stepped pulley, Sheraton made a departure from the other South Bend clones and ran B section v belts. Unfortunately this means that you will need a Sheraton part. You might get lucky finding one,but parts for these are not exactly thick on the ground. A good place to start is posting an ad here in the Wanted section of the market.

You could fit Hercus pulleys but you would need the spindle pulley and the back gear and the bull gear to match as they used a different pitch angle on the gears. Realistically this would be prohibitively expensive and I wouldn't recommend it.

Best bet I think is to make the pulley. I have one and can draw it up for you if you need? (just gotta disassemble my lathe to do so)

Ill have a hunt around and get back with what I can find

Regards

Matthew