PDA

View Full Version : My Sheraton introduction

AGeckoCan
16th Apr 2020, 08:42 AM
G'day everyone,
I was gifted this Sheraton a year or so ago and spoke to Mal re replacement parts etc, I needed some gears, 54/18 and a 72/18 compound gear,idler gear bolt, a tailstock, oilers and felts etc.
Well after a long while a hercus came up so i thought I would buy that and use the parts to make one functioning unit.
Turns out the main part I needed, the tailstock doesn't line up, so I'm still on the hunt for a Sheraton tailstock.
Oh and of course I have decided I now want to refurbish both units lol:B
The other parts I can get from Mal when Im ready unless someone has bits they want to sell on just let me know
I have attached some pics of the machine as it sits, prior to me starting any rebuild works

morrisman
16th Apr 2020, 10:45 PM
The Sheraton uses a different PA angle on the back gear teeth than a Hercus does. I found out as I fitted a Hercus back gear on my Sheraton and a holy loud noise resulted

AGeckoCan
17th Apr 2020, 06:49 AM
The Sheraton uses a different PA angle on the back gear teeth than a Hercus does. I found out as I fitted a Hercus back gear on my Sheraton and a holy loud noise resulted
Luckily my back gears seem to be in good shape.
Im making a milling attachment for the Sheraton seeing as I dont have a tailstock. it can be my makeshift mill for now!

nadroj
20th Apr 2020, 08:52 AM
Turns out the main part I needed, the tailstock doesn't line up, so I'm still on the hunt for a Sheraton tailstock.

I've heard that Hercus tailstocks can be adjusted front to back by the provided screws, and up & down by shimming or grinding.

AGeckoCan
20th Apr 2020, 10:12 AM
I've heard that Hercus tailstocks can be adjusted front to back by the provided screws, and up & down by shimming or grinding.

Thanks mate, I will have another look then!

BrazOmatic
7th May 2020, 01:38 PM
There are two parts to the tailstock unit we need to consider here. The body and the base. Nadroj is correct, there is cross adjustment on the tailstock base. In what way does it not fit? Height or cross? Cross will be easier to correct, height is a little trickier. Shims, Turcite, scraping etc.

Depending on how much its out you may need to make a new base for the tailstock to get it aligned on the Sheraton. This is not hugely difficult but it does take time and you will need to be patient and careful in order to get it right.

FWIW I would purchase another Hercus tailstock for the Sheraton and do the above mentioned and keep that Hercus complete! That's a roller bearing 9c and is a fine machine. Assuming its in good condition it would be well worth keeping.

From my own experience I can tell you it's extremely useful and convenient having two lathes if you have the room.

Best regards

Matthew