PDA

View Full Version : Spring Saddle

morrisman
26th Mar 2020, 09:02 PM
I have a worn spring saddle on my Jeep rear axle housing , the spring bolt centre locating hole is elongated to a large degree . I am thinking of welding up the worn area and then boring the hole to size .. I think the metal is cast steel , the saddles are welded to the housing at the factory. Somebody on another forum suggested boring the hole oversize then fit a bush .

OxxAndBert
26th Mar 2020, 10:01 PM
Either method will work fine IMO.
Bushing is slightly more work now, but gives you the option of easily replacing the bush should it wear in the future.

Steve

KBs PensNmore
26th Mar 2020, 10:42 PM
I tend to agree with Steve, bushing it would be easier. The reason they wear is because the U bolts come loose or stretch.
WW2 Jeeps were initially designed to be a disposable item, so I'm led to believe, hence the lack of maintenance on some vehicles.
Kryn

morrisman
27th Mar 2020, 09:22 PM
I tend to agree with Steve, bushing it would be easier. The reason they wear is because the U bolts come loose or stretch.
WW2 Jeeps were initially designed to be a disposable item, so I'm led to believe, hence the lack of maintenance on some vehicles.
Kryn

Thanks

OK I will try the bush . Sort of a myth the disposable Jeep, they had rebuild workshops rebuilding vehicles and the Jeeps go back into use. Here is a NZ rebuild program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9m8RMHLE4A

KBs PensNmore
27th Mar 2020, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the video, most interesting as it was something I was unaware of.
Wonder how many remained in NZ?
Kryn

bts
28th Mar 2020, 12:15 AM
I am sure I read somewhere back when I was building mine that the Jeeps were expected to get 10 minutes in war time use. Any longer was a bonus.

Wish mine still looked like this. (1980)

Tony

KBs PensNmore
28th Mar 2020, 12:42 AM
I am sure I read somewhere back when I was building mine that the Jeeps were expected to get 10 minutes in war time use. Any longer was a bonus.

Wish mine still looked like this. (1980)

Tony

What's it look like now????

bts
28th Mar 2020, 01:06 AM
What's it look like now????

Sad.

morrisman
28th Mar 2020, 01:07 PM
That was a nice Jeep ! It's far easier these days with a plethora of parts available and new tubs . I did my MB in 1977 . The www has changed the whole Game

KBs PensNmore
28th Mar 2020, 02:54 PM
Sad.

Do you still have it or did it get totalled???

bts
28th Mar 2020, 09:59 PM
That was a nice Jeep ! It's far easier these days with a plethora of parts available and new tubs . I did my MB in 1977 . The www has changed the whole Game

Strange you say that I was able to get all the mechanical parts from Sydney in 1978-79. From memory the only part that was not WW2 issue (wrapped in grease proof paper) was the speedo cable.
The tub was replaced from the seats back. All panels came from a gentleman in Penrith who was making them. They were more expensive than those available from Indonesia but better made.

Do you still have it or did it get totalled???

About 1986 after getting me halfway around Australia.

As it is today after 30 years in storage.

Sad