PDA

View Full Version : Wax vs. Clay

RoadRock
19th Jan 2020, 02:59 PM
I am planning on casting an engagement ring that will house one round cut diamond. It will have the pieces sticking out for the stone's setting. If cost is a factor, what is the best method for casting this ring? It is for a friend of mine so I don't want to mess up.

China
19th Jan 2020, 05:47 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, If you are making a one off ring there is little point in casting, first you need to make the pattern so in effect you you have already made the item, you will also need to buy more gold than you actually need, casting is normally only used to make multiple versions of the same item or to produce a replica of a existing item.
By far the simplest and less costly way to do it would be to sand cast, for a jewellery item Delft Clay is the best best medium.
To use the lost wax method with any success requires expensive equipment. e.g. at a basic level, special flasks, high quality investment mix, a burn out furnace and a centrifugal casting machine
I suggest have a look at his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUeS_Yio3Xg
Also the design of the ring needs to taken into account some designs will be much more difficult to cast rather than others, is there a particular reason you wish to cast it.

Grahame Collins
21st Jan 2020, 10:33 AM
Hi Roadrock,
Welcome to the MetalWork Forums.
You find you have joined a pretty good group as far as MetalWorking subjects go.

To have a look around and see our other sub forums and bits and pieces do this:
GO TO the the Top LH corner of the page and click the arrow in the FORUM box which will take you to a menu pulldown where the is Forum Home listed on the top.

Clicking on Forum Home brings you to a scroll down page where such things as Terms of Use (rules ) and the Welcome Wagon as well as our other sub forums, are listed. Have a look around as there is plenty to see.
Again welcome to the forums.

Grahame