PDA

View Full Version : New here but old

Dells
11th Jan 2020, 07:54 PM
Hi all
just found this forum I am a coach builder by trade and I collect and repair antique clocks as a hobby, I have a Unimat SL lathe with mill although I haven’t done much until recently on a lathe for about 50 years I am old school as most of my welding is done with gas and I work mostly with aluminium sheet , I find gas welding aluminium the best as it’s easy to planish compared to tig.
Dell

KBs PensNmore
11th Jan 2020, 08:18 PM
Welcome to a TOP FORUM Dell. Thanks for the what you do and what you have.
Where in the UK are you based, asking as we have several members from there on here.
We love pics of what you make and WIP (Work In Progress) reports.
If you have any questions about anything, a pic or sketch (if possible) of what you're trying to achieve helps a lot.
A bit like someone asking for a bit of rope with no details of size etc.:D
Kryn

China
11th Jan 2020, 10:10 PM
Welcome Dell,
Good to find some in the world that still uses oxy gear, when you say Coach builder, is that in the manner of buses and motor bodies or old school horse pulled vehicles
I have a SL that I use for jewellery work

Grahame Collins
11th Jan 2020, 10:40 PM
Hi Dell,
Welcome to the Metal Work Forum.There a great bunch of people here and they are very willing to assist people with their inquiries.
We have a lot of sub forums here.

You can move around them by going to the FORUM box in the top LH corner. Click on the down arrow and the Drop down menu appears. Forum Home is the top one and when that is clicked, a scroll down page of all our pages is shown.

Please have a read through the Terms of Use -our rules as well as the rest of the topics we have.

I think we have a couple of blokes here interested in Horology so they will probably appear once you post.

Welcome again

Grahame

Dells
12th Jan 2020, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome
China I know I am old but I am not old enough to have worked on horse and cart.
i used to make panels for vintage RR and Bentley but I lost the use of my left arm had it operated on to repair it but was told not carry on doing my job, so now I work for a coach company doing the bodywork on 100 coaches so I am never short of work, although now I am of retiring age I only work 4 day week.
Dell

KBs PensNmore
12th Jan 2020, 12:14 PM
China I know I am old but I am not old enough to have worked on horse and cart. Dell

You don't have to be OLD to have worked on Horse and Carts. There are always people out there, wanting restoration work done on carts and coaches.:D
Kryn

old1955
12th Jan 2020, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Dell.