PDA

View Full Version : Sand casting

China
10th Jan 2020, 01:17 AM
I have done lots of sand casting, ( only small items ) I have a question, if one was making just a rectangular strip, I assume there would be no reason to center the pattern in the mould i.e. just place it one half and have the other half just a flat surface.

Michael G
10th Jan 2020, 06:55 AM
Correct. A foundry would probably prefer it that way, as it is less work to make up the mould.

Michael

bts
10th Jan 2020, 08:47 AM
Correct. A foundry would probably prefer it that way, as it is less work to make up the mould.

Michael

What he said

China
10th Jan 2020, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, several people told me it can't be done that way, I did not see any reason why not

bts
10th Jan 2020, 01:47 PM
Unless its more complicated than my understanding of it why would you want to have a parting line on a strip. Means you would have to double tapper the pattern as well.

Tony

KBs PensNmore
10th Jan 2020, 10:30 PM
My understanding of what you're wanting to do is cast something like an ingot, an indent in the sand and molten metal poured in and hey presto. Some lead fishing sinkers are cast in a similar way.
HTH
Kryn

China
10th Jan 2020, 11:28 PM
Similar to a ingot except I want to get it more precise ( less finishing ) I know you can do it by the open casting method and I am aware that it can be done by the usual half and half method, I just don't see any point in the half and half method when it is just a long rectangular piece.
I mentioned it at a gathering of friends and the advice came flowing even though apparently non of them has ever cast anything, so I thought I would consult the oracle before I made some horrible mistake as I mentioned I have cast lots of things, about the only thing I have not cast is rectangular strip.

KBs PensNmore
10th Jan 2020, 11:53 PM
I'd give it a try and see what happens, you've nothing to loose but a bit of your mold material and Electrickery, as what you cast, will be able to be remelted and cast again.
Let us know how you get on PLEASE.
Kryn

bts
11th Jan 2020, 12:04 AM
The 1 piece open top mould will never produce as good a finish on the open section as closed 2 piece mould.

Tony

China
11th Jan 2020, 12:37 AM
Yep no probs will post a pic or two