PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to work CNC into metal art goals

A Guy In Town
3rd Jan 2020, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I have a CNC router table and a CNC plasma table. I have done quite a bit of metal art in the form of wall plaques, clock faces, etc. Now I am drifting into dimensional art, and I will be the first to admit that I have ZERO experience in this area. I will use my CNC tables mostly for accuracy and repeatability of the various parts I will then bolt, weld, or otherwise attach to whatever I will build.

I use the Samson 510 table, which is the "Big Brother" of the PlasmaCam. I am fairly good at using it, such that I do teach people how to use the table and software, both online as well as one-on-one personal training sessions, when time allows. I am retired, and do it for FUN. Mainly, I like to work with my hands to create things. Occasionally, someone will give me a good "Wow!" or some other encouragement to continue.

In 2020, I want to start building LARGE outdoor metal art pieces. Mostly, I am interested in things that move with the wind, or by mechanical power. These truly are the best, and probably the last years of my life, so I want to make the best of them!

KBs PensNmore
3rd Jan 2020, 11:34 PM
Welcome to a TOP forum. Thanks for your report as to what you do. We love pics and reports of WIP (Work In Progress), so when you get a chance wouldn't mind some pics of what you've made/done.
Kryn

pippin88
3rd Jan 2020, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I look forward to seeing what you create.

I was looking at linkages in a mechanical sculpture the other day and found some software for planning / simulating linkages and movement.
https://blog.rectorsquid.com/linkage-mechanism-designer-and-simulator/
It's free and pretty easy to get started.

A Guy In Town
26th Jan 2020, 06:26 AM
Now THAT LINK will come in quite handy!

Thank you!!!!

Joe