PDA

View Full Version : Steel from large bearings - useful??

OxxAndBert
16th Dec 2019, 08:52 PM
Hi all,

There's a few large bearing races at work that are likely to get scrapped shortly. Sizes range up to approx 400 OD and 75 wide.

If bearing steel is of any interest to you smithing types I can put my hand up to grab a couple to pass on.

Steve

kwijibo99
17th Dec 2019, 12:21 AM
G'day Steve,
My son is always on the lookout for interesting steel to forge so if they do end up destined for scrap I might grab one or two for him.
Cheers,
Greg.

China
17th Dec 2019, 01:48 PM
Many Knife makers use discarded bearings as a source of steel

Grahame Collins
17th Dec 2019, 02:22 PM
Many Knife makers use discarded bearings as a source of steel

More than likely they will be 52100 series ,a chromium based grade well regarded by the knifemakers since the fifties.
It produces a fine grain which is tough and retains a sharp edge for a long while.

Grahame

Gavin Newman
17th Dec 2019, 04:30 PM
The outer bearing races are often ground to size and so make good tramming rings for the mill.

OxxAndBert
17th Dec 2019, 04:55 PM
G'day Steve,
My son is always on the lookout for interesting steel to forge so if they do end up destined for scrap I might grab one or two for him.
Cheers,
Greg.

Will do.
Can you find out whether he'd prefer ball or roller ones or if he doesn't care. I was thinking roller might be a more practical profile to start with...

Steve

OxxAndBert
17th Dec 2019, 05:01 PM
The outer bearing races are often ground to size and so make good tramming rings for the mill.

Thanks Gavin.
Yes, there's some that are smaller than these big ones - likely around 150-200 diam that would be good for that.

These big buggers are too heavy for me to lift my myself so even just the outer race would be too heavy for a tramming ring!

Steve

OxxAndBert
17th Dec 2019, 06:42 PM
Did I say they were big-ish??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191217/51d94aa9975acd0a0f2c6b80138fe9cb.jpg

Steve

kwijibo99
17th Dec 2019, 09:20 PM
G'day Steve,
Probably roller as like you say they'd be an easier profile to start from, although a ball one might come in handy to make some press tools.
He started out learning to forge knives and has recently decided to give hammer making a go as well so he will happily take whatever is the least hassle for you to get.
Thanks for making the offer and let me know what works best for you as far as picking them up goes.
Cheers,
Greg.

OxxAndBert
17th Dec 2019, 10:28 PM
No worries Greg, have sent you a PM.

Steve

DSEL74
20th Aug 2020, 10:36 AM
I know it’s an old thread but if you have any large ball bearing, balls i’m chasing A variety of sizes especially bigger ones for some tooling I want to Forge.

OxxAndBert
20th Aug 2020, 12:09 PM
I know it’s an old thread but if you have any large ball bearing, balls i’m chasing A variety of sizes especially bigger ones for some tooling I want to Forge.

PM sent.

Steve