PDA

View Full Version : MC-60 treadmill speed controller (controller needs a load ?)

DenJon
11th Nov 2019, 07:06 AM
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have an MC-60 treadmill speed controller. I'm mounting the motor on a drill press. I put switch on the wipe terminal on the pot and added a reverse switch on the motor leads. I have it geared way down so that I can do some thread tapping. I'd like to have it start and stop immediately. I'm trying to eliminate the soft start and stop. Putting a switch from the board (red wire to the motor) gives me what I'm looking for but I am concerned about whether the board needs the load from the motor. Is it safe for the speed controller to run with a switch on the motor lead?

nadroj
11th Nov 2019, 07:26 AM
I'm no expert, but as you asked for "any help", is it possible to use a simpler controller? Such as:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60A-PWM-Motor-Speed-Controller-CW-CCW-Reversible-Switch-DC-12V-48V-AU-SHIP/352771058348?hash=item5222cb2aac:g:qhsAAOSwbIZdZ5n8

russ57
11th Nov 2019, 10:36 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a switch in line with the wiper.
But how about a switch from the wiper to the 'low' side of the pot - that would have the effect of turning the speed down to 0 instantly, without switching high currents.

Ps, what sort of treadmill motor runs on 50 volts - I've only seen 90 or 180, but I guess if you only want relatively low output that wouldn't matter.

Grahame Collins
25th Nov 2019, 11:21 AM
Hi DenJon,
Its good to see another American coming to our MetalWork Forums.

Welcome to one of the better MetalWork Forums. We are Australian based so you might notice on a US Forum references,and retailers and even our standards are sometimes different.I have shifted your post to the Electrical section where it can be answered more appropriately.

Please take a look at the rest of the forum by going to the top LH corner where the FORUM box (with down arrow) is.

Click the box and select Forum Home the first title listed on the pull downs. That will take you to the page where you can scroll down to see what we have as associated forums and notices.

In that list you might notice the Welcome Wagon.

Please consider posting an intro the Welcome wagon that can tells us what you Metalworking interests are.

Again

Welcome to to our forums, albeit a few days late.

Grahame

simonl
26th Nov 2019, 08:50 AM
Have a look at this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlliimAvZY

This guy is doing the exact same thing as you, using the same MC60 controller.

In the comments others have mentioned removal of R19 or removel of transistor Q7 to disable the soft start.

Simon

BaronJ
1st Dec 2019, 07:49 PM
Hi Russ,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a switch in line with the wiper.
But how about a switch from the wiper to the 'low' side of the pot - that would have the effect of turning the speed down to 0 instantly, without switching high currents.

Ps, what sort of treadmill motor runs on 50 volts - I've only seen 90 or 180, but I guess if you only want relatively low output that wouldn't matter.

Those permag DC motors will happily run on as little as 12 volts ! I've just acquired an unwanted treadmill just to salvage the motor and controller. Not an MC60 though, 240 volts AC input 80 volts average DC out. Its actually a chopped 280 volts. The rating plate on the motor gives 600 watts 220 volts DC. No indication of rpm though.

To the OP, no I wouldn't switch in the motor leads ! Apart from the risk of damaging the controller, the spike will eventually demagnetise the magnets as will running the motor from AC.