PDA

View Full Version : cam bearing

morrisman
16th Oct 2019, 01:20 PM
I bought a new cam bearing for the jeep engine , the original front bearing is a babbit type , well, the new bearing is dura bond brand . The new bearing surface is somewhat rough, under the loupe I can see what looks like a lathe turning finish. The manufacturer claims its been burnished , this increases surface hardness. I can push a .005" feeler gauge between the cam journal and bearing , the bearing might compress a bit after I install it but that is right on the limit of tolerance , the manual says max. Is .006"clearance. Dura bond is a US manufacturer , they use their own technology .https://www.dura-bondbearing.com/products/high-performance-bearings/

OxxAndBert
16th Oct 2019, 05:41 PM
Is it a split shell type bearing, or just a circular one-piece type?

If its split shell check the clearance using Plastigage when its all assembled and torqued up.
If its a one-piece then fit it and measure. If you don't want to fit in case it precludes you from returning it for a credit - then perhaps measure the outside diameter compared to the bore it goes in to see roughly how much its going to shrink the bearing bore itself.

Steve

morrisman
16th Oct 2019, 06:42 PM
Its a one piece shell:U

snapatap
18th Oct 2019, 05:53 PM
how much interference does the bearing have in the bore? On a thin wall bearing the bore will crush down by the interference amount, i bet once it is fitted it will have the right amount of clearance. at a stab i would say the minimum clearance is 2thou?