PDA

View Full Version : First dipping of toes into the CNC world... bought a little engraver/mill

jhovel
1st Sep 2019, 10:38 PM
Well, I finally did it...
I bought a desktop fixed gantry CNC engraver.
It is a few years old and came from an industrial environment but appears to have very little wear - other than the spindle brearings.
It weighs about 60kg + and is almost entirely made from ribbed cast iron castings and sections.
The control system was proprietary and driven by serial port - and it didn't come with it.
So my intention is to fit new stepper drivers and an off-line motion controller, that reads G-code from a USB or memory stick.
I also intend to raise the gantry by about 3" (75mm) to enable me to get taller work pieces under it. I can slide the motor down by the corresponding amount in its clamp to enable flat work to be machined.
A question remains, in that I don't know how to select a motion controller: what pulse rate should it be able to deliver? How can I know? There seem to be $150 50kHz ones and $250 500kHz ones ....
Anyone want to clarify that for me?
Last question: I intend to generate G-code in Fusion360 Cam module, but what do I need to know to get the right "dialect"?

Sterob
2nd Sep 2019, 11:21 PM
That will keep you quiet....lol
Well done.

OxxAndBert
3rd Sep 2019, 10:00 PM
Very cool Joe - two projects in one (get it to work, then get it to make stuff)!!
Watching with interest!

Steve

russ57
3rd Sep 2019, 10:21 PM
The DDCSV controller seems to have a bit of following on mad modder, with at least one guy producing some much improved software.

Russ

jhovel
3rd Sep 2019, 10:52 PM
Yes, Russ. I read the entire thread now. Very interesting insights - and lots that went WAYYY over my head.
However, I pulled the trigger on one. A DDCSV2.1 4-axis. See what I can do with that....

jatt
8th Sep 2019, 11:07 PM
That will keep you quiet....lol

Recon so, theres nuthin like adding software to the mix..... hours of "fun"/ pulling ones hair just in that alone!! And I'm running out of that fast!

Even a turnkey setup isn't immune from those dreaded software gremlins.

Interesting to see how you progress.

simonl
5th Nov 2019, 06:57 PM
Hi Joe,

late on the scene here but I'm really interested to see how this progresses.

Nice project!

Simon