PDA

View Full Version : Down the Rabbit hole. Boxford 240 lathe

welder
4th Aug 2019, 10:50 AM
I just bought this Boxford 240 CTl CNC lathe pick it up in a few weeks. I am not sure what I've gotten myself in to I have wanted to learn abit about CNC and thought this might be the right avenue. It hasn't been plugged in and I don't know the condition of the control boards.I am hoping I can just run Mach3 with the original controller but I might be in for a retrofit.

BaronJ
4th Aug 2019, 07:10 PM
Hi Andre,

Make sure that you get the rest of the enclosure with that machine ! At least you have the handbook :)

caskwarrior
4th Aug 2019, 09:54 PM
Also attempt to get the original Windows PC with it. The hercus control is actually pretty capable and at least on the compulathe has servo feedback.

If you do plan on a retrofit at least try the original control first, honestly something integrated by the manufacturer is so so much better than any homebuilt control ive ever seen. Maybe with linuxCNC and a pile of time and money you can get something pretty good, but i havent encountered it.

The hercus control is old but its has cool stuff like 2d toolpath simulation and collision detection.

Michael G
5th Aug 2019, 08:17 AM
I vaguely recall someone going to a clearance sale a while back and buying (or nearly buying) one of these. Was it Morrisman?

Michael

twopintsplease
6th Aug 2019, 02:25 PM
I saw you post on the Hercus CNC Facebook group

It would have been handy if you mentioned on the Hercus CNC face book group that the machine had a Hercus retrofit, the big question is did you get the computer with the controler card in it ?

a photo of the electronics pack would be handy, there is more than one Hercus system

the Hercus system is repairable but no new parts are available, The is a service tech in Adelaide a ex Hercus bloke and there are some very knowledgeable blokes on the face book group with electronic repairs

Mach 3 turn is at best crap , Mach 3 and Mach 3 plasma are better, but they are all dead in the water, no fixes or updates for a a few years now

first of all identify what you have and don’t have then work your way forward from there

yes I have functioning Hercus CNC machines running Hercus controllers a PC 200 and a PC 300,

let me if you need any help

Cheers

Fred