PDA

View Full Version : Ahoi-hoi from Melbourne

IratiWanti
7th Jul 2019, 01:40 PM
Heya all. I came across the metal work forum very recently and by pleasant surprise after trying(not very successfully)to locate any info on my vintage(1920's?) Australian made A.E Herbert metal lathe that's joined my workshop and man, am I stoked I've found this page. So much happily shared knowledge,
I'm a little green in old school manufacturing/fabrication techniques but not brand new. I have a spot for vintage items -who doesn't though, am I right?

old1955
7th Jul 2019, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the forum.

steamingbill
7th Jul 2019, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forum - Yes I think you are right about forumites soft spots and old equipment. Lots of 50+ year old lathes around I think. Mine is 60+ who else out there has an aged lathe ?

Here is a photo for you, a nice old lathe resting on a pedestal in a museum, lots of softly spotted people wandering around ogling the various machines at London Science Museum if you ever get the chance.

Bill

Ray-s
7th Jul 2019, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the forum - love to see some pics of your lathe.

IratiWanti
8th Jul 2019, 03:26 AM
Cheers for the welcome all. The museum lathe is an absolute cracker. I recently stumbled upon
"Holtzapffel" a superb German manufactured Victorian era mechanical ornamental turning machine. Google Holtzapffel if you're interested.
Now comes my attempt at posting pics of my machine. Any manuals or tutorials would be massively appreciated380602380602

IratiWanti
8th Jul 2019, 03:48 AM
I think the chuck is a lot larger version of what was originally factory released(?)
I have a couple vintage fractional HP motors from the 1930's that I'll need to go over the electrics with. Here's a 1934 Crompton Parkinson I was toying with

BobL
8th Jul 2019, 10:25 AM
Firstly welcome aboard.

I have a couple vintage fractional HP motors from the 1930's that I'll need to go over the electrics with. Here's a 1934 Crompton Parkinson I was toying with

I also like old gear but (as we have been asked to do) that abrasive wheel hanging out on that extended spindle has my eyebrows raised. There's a good reason grinding wheels are tucked up as close as possible to their motors.

IratiWanti
9th Jul 2019, 02:29 AM
Firstly welcome aboard.

I also like old gear but (as we have been asked to do) that abrasive wheel hanging out on that extended spindle has my eyebrows raised. There's a good reason grinding wheels are tucked up as close as possible to their motors.

Cheers for the thanks and reply BobL.
The pic of the motor with the dodgy AF looking extended grinding wheel is just how it came. Zero safety features...i personally wouldn't use anything like it myself without at least adding a few bits of protection like a housing/spark shield and guide at the absolute minimum