PDA

View Full Version : Damaged motor reversing drum switch

Flo
10th Jun 2019, 09:12 PM
Hi All,

The motor reversing switch for the New Visby lathe I have has two issues:

1. There is a LOT of play in the switching contactor mechanism meaning sometimes the detents won't engage relative to each of the 3 switching positions (forward, neutral and reverse), and;
2. the bakelite insulator has been cracked from a blow to the side of the metal enclosure.

I guess my question is: does a similar style switch still exist today as a direct replacement or do I need to somehow retrofit a modern drum switch into this enclosure?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Flo

China
10th Jun 2019, 11:50 PM
My honest opinion chuck it out and buy a new one

Flo
11th Jun 2019, 12:55 AM
My honest opinion chuck it out and buy a new one

G'day China.. My intention is to replace it, hence my question: can I buy something that will be a like for like replacement for what is installed (I'm assuming not, given the age of the machine) or do I have to get something current and make it fit?

Cheers,

Flo

BaronJ
11th Jun 2019, 07:49 AM
Hi Flo,

I agree, replace it with a modern one ! Rotary switches are quite common though may be a little pricey. just make sure that it is AC rated for the load that you are using.

You may have to buy a suitable box to house it as well.

familyguy
14th Jun 2019, 11:10 AM
Reversing drum switches are available but it is highly unlikely they will be a direct physical replacement the attached pic is from Aliexpress.

BobL
14th Jun 2019, 11:59 AM
Some interesting electrical specs????

BaronJ
14th Jun 2019, 07:59 PM
Hi Guys,

By gum that seems very cheap ! You couldn't get one for that price here in the UK.

Flo
14th Jun 2019, 09:58 PM
Reversing drum switches are available but it is highly unlikely they will be a direct physical replacement the attached pic is from Aliexpress.

Thanks for that.. I have seen these switches and I'm suspecting that what you're saying about direct replacements is going to be the case.

Interestingly I have had a closer look at the existing switch and a lot of the excess play was attributable to a loose lever grub screw. The cracked bakelite piece was only a cover and so I used some JB Weld and repaired it and panel-beated the switch enclosure to relieve any residual pressure on the cover. So we'll see how it goes..