PDA

View Full Version : Colchester Lathes Video

Ray-s
5th Jun 2019, 12:49 PM
I found this Youtube video on the Colchester Lathes Company very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaAKUAzK0w

Chris Parks
5th Jun 2019, 06:25 PM
I haven't looked at the video but the Colchester lathe we bought in the mid 70's got replaced twice because of problems but the third one stuck and it is still in use today.

YBAF
6th Jun 2019, 02:25 PM
Great find :cool:

Love the gold paint over every thing. Likely done for the filming.

Back in the day even the hand held spray bottles looked high-end. (about the eight minute mark)

StrayAlien
10th Jun 2019, 12:41 PM
I come across those as well. All very impressive. The 'still' from the vid above where the guy is pasting the body-filler on is pretty impressive. I wish I could do it that quick ... and with whatever stuff he's using. Though, probably toxic and banned now ...

Gezdog
9th Apr 2020, 11:11 PM
Hi Ray-s,

I'm a little late in coming to this, Ray-s, but I want to express my thanks and appreciation for this delightful video from a time now gone, but still vaguely familiar to blokes of my vintage. i imagine the era to be early sixties, by the look of the workforce, the PPE (or lack of same!), and the Commer vans used by the service department. It was highly instructive of how precision machinery was used to manufacture even more precise machinery, guided by the judgement and skill of a human in a boiler suit, with analogue instrumentation and deft manual skills, and CNC was an unimaginable concept. I have a new found respect for all who tinker with lathes & suchlike, and I am in your debt for sharing this gem from yore.

Cheers,

Gezdog