PDA

View Full Version : Running a 10hp 3 phase motor?

Flo
4th Jun 2019, 07:52 PM
So it turns out that the old New Visby lathe that I bought a couple of weeks ago has a 10hp motor.. From the limited info available online I was under the impression that the machine maybe had a 1-2hp motor or perhaps 5hp at most.

Now, like many others I don't have 3 phase installed at my place and so I figure that I will need to run the unit via an RPC or VFD.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I run this motor using a suitably sized VFD from my single phase supply or am I better off replacing the motor with a smaller one? I assume that the lathe has a 10hp motor for a reason..

2. Am I correct in assuming that the output capacity of the VFD needs to exceed the rated power of the motor? ie: it's not recommended to run a 10hp motor with a VFD rated at 10hp (7.5kw)?

3. Is there a better way to run this motor than what I have suggested above (short of installing a 3 phase supply)?

Cheers

Flo

BobL
4th Jun 2019, 08:05 PM
1. Can I run this motor using a suitably sized VFD from my single phase supply.I assume that the lathe has a 10hp motor for a reason.
No, the largest single to three phase VFDs are around the 5HP mark.
To run a >5HP you'd need to install a beefy RPC and run it direct as 3 phase - this is not going to be cheap.

or am I better off replacing the motor with a smaller one?
I doubt a 5HP motor is going to cut it. The lowest I would go would 7.5HP

2. Am I correct in assuming that the output capacity of the VFD needs to exceed the rated power of the motor? ie: it's not recommended to run a 10hp motor with a VFD rated at 10hp (7.5kw)?
No, the best power for a VFD is in fact the same power rating as the motor. If you use a more powerful VFD it needs to be programmed "BACK" to the power rating of the motor anyway so its basically a waste of money.

An XHP motor can usually be safely run on a <XHP VFD. VFDs are very good at looking after themselves so the VFD will simply not start or stop working once the current it is being asked to supply is greater than its programmed limit.
Of course this has limits, eg I wouldn't be using a 1HP VFD to run a 10HP motor but I have certainly run a 3HP motor using a 1HP VFD - for testing purposes only of course - no load.

3. Is there a better way to run this motor than what I have suggested above (short of installing a 3 phase supply)?
Not really, you are pretty well stuck with getting 3P for something that size.

Flo
4th Jun 2019, 08:17 PM
Hi BobL,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm just going to add this to the growing list of challenges that I need to overcome! :D

Cheers

Flo

BobL
4th Jun 2019, 08:49 PM
Hi BobL,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm just going to add this to the growing list of challenges that I need to overcome! :D

Cheers

Flo

Here is what I would do - assuming the motor is a "Y" and can be converted to "∆"
See if you can borrow a 5HP SP VFD and an Ammeter
Disconnect everything except the spindle and see what current spindle running only draws.
Play with the gears and see what currents are drawn - should not change much or at all.
Add the various drives and monitor current.
If it draws too much the VFD will just shut down.
Whatever spare horses you have up to 5HP will be your working capacity.
SO ,I doubt you't be taken 5mm cuts with it but yo might be able to use it.

Flo
4th Jun 2019, 09:07 PM
Here is what I would do - assuming the motor is a "Y" and can be converted to "∆"
See if you can borrow a 5HP SP VFD and an Ammeter
Disconnect everything except the spindle and see what current spindle running only draws.
Play with the gears and see what currents are drawn - should not change much or at all.
Add the various drives and monitor current.
If it draws too much the VFD will just shut down.
Whatever spare horses you have up to 5HP will be your working capacity.
SO ,I doubt you't be taken 5mm cuts with it but yo might be able to use it.

The motor is in a delta configuration by default and the data plate says that it draws 13.2A which I'm guessing is its continuous no-load current draw?

This is a project lathe so I'm not in any huge rush to get it running by tomorrow.. I'll try your suggestions and see what I come up with.

Cheers

Flo

BobL
4th Jun 2019, 10:02 PM
The motor is in a delta configuration by default . . .

OK then you cannot use that motor with a single phase VFD as it's already a 415V ∆ motor.
A 415V 3P Y can be converted to 240V by making it a delta, but if its a 415V ∆ then it will only run on something less than 1/2 power when connected to 240V.
If you convert that motor to a Y it will become a 690V motor.

To get anywhere

and the data plate says that it draws 13.2A which I'm guessing is its continuous no-load current draw?

No that will be a fully loaedd rating
415 x 13.2 X 1.73 = 9kW
9kW times a power factor say 0.8 = 7.6 kW or ~10.2HP

You will have to swap the motor to run this on an SP-3P V FD.

bollie7
4th Jun 2019, 10:05 PM
Flo
Have you posted pics of your lathe on the forum somewhere? How big is it.
As its a New Visby its probably from around the 1940's. I used to have a "Visby" which had a flat bed and flat belt drive so I assumed it was possibly 1920-30's (guestimate). Anyway what I'm leading up to is how sure are you that the motor you have is the original? On a machine that old, that's had who knows how many owners, there's a good chance the motor you have is not original. I think the old Visby I had, had an old 2HP single phase on it when my father got it back in about 1980. It used to run it ok. So yours could well have had a smaller motor on it originally but that had been replaced with a bigger one. Maybe they wanted more power or maybe its as simple as they had that one available.
If you can get away with a smaller motor its going to be a lot cheaper and easier for you to get it running again
Just a few thoughts.
Peter

BobL
4th Jun 2019, 10:12 PM
FloHave you posted pics of your lathe on the forum somewhere? How big is it.As its a New Visby its probably from around the 1940's. I used to have a "Visby" which had a flat bed and flat belt drive so I assumed it was possibly 1920-30's (guestimate). Anyway what I'm leading up to is how sure are you that the motor you have is the original? On a machine that old, that's had who knows how many owners, there's a good chance the motor you have is not original. I think the old Visby I had, had an old 2HP single phase on it when my father got it back in about 1980. It used to run it ok. So yours could well have had a smaller motor on it originally but that had been replaced with a bigger one. Maybe they wanted more power or maybe its as simple as they had that one available.If you can get away with a smaller motor its going to be a lot cheaper and easier for you to get it running againJust a few thoughts.Peter

Good point.
How big are the chucks and what is the swing as these are good indicators of power requirements.

caskwarrior
4th Jun 2019, 11:34 PM
I think it's about a 14" swing machine, my previous macson was 16" with 14" Chuck's and was 5hp from the factory. My current 14" DSG is 5.5hp. Both could move about as much metal as I would ever want to, at least 1/4 radial depth of cut at heavy feeds I'd say that 10hp motor was grafted on after the fact.

Modern lathes of the same size would have around 7 - 10 HP these days but no way in the 50s were you getting that kind of juice unless by special order.

Flo
4th Jun 2019, 11:42 PM
Flo
Have you posted pics of your lathe on the forum somewhere? How big is it.
As its a New Visby its probably from around the 1940's. I used to have a "Visby" which had a flat bed and flat belt drive so I assumed it was possibly 1920-30's (guestimate). Anyway what I'm leading up to is how sure are you that the motor you have is the original? On a machine that old, that's had who knows how many owners, there's a good chance the motor you have is not original. I think the old Visby I had, had an old 2HP single phase on it when my father got it back in about 1980. It used to run it ok. So yours could well have had a smaller motor on it originally but that had been replaced with a bigger one. Maybe they wanted more power or maybe its as simple as they had that one available.
If you can get away with a smaller motor its going to be a lot cheaper and easier for you to get it running again
Just a few thoughts.
Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes I have in the metal work general section, but just a quick indicator the machine is about 2.5m long, about 1.3m high.. the bed is about 1.4m long.. and the thing weighs almost 2 tonnes..

The motor looks right for the period but is a different colour to the rest of the machine. This could mean that it is not original or that the machine has been repainted at some point but the motor was left as is. Looking closely at it there is some permanent marker written on it which could support the non OEM motor scenario..

379776379777 379779

Good point.
How big are the chucks and what is the swing as these are good indicators of power requirements.

The 3 jaw chuck that is currently fitted is over 300mm diameter.. The lathe is classified as 8.5" which I assume is the centre height. The lathe has a gap in the bed and with a faceplate installed you could turn a piece over 600mm in diameter.

Flo
4th Jun 2019, 11:51 PM
I think it's about a 14" swing machine, my previous macson was 16" with 14" Chuck's and was 5hp from the factory. My current 14" DSG is 5.5hp. Both could move about as much metal as I would ever want to, at least 1/4 radial depth of cut at heavy feeds I'd say that 10hp motor was grafted on after the fact.

The motor "looks" original but as per my previous post there's a few things which don't add up.. it's different colour to the rest of the machine for a start, it has permanent marker on it (which may or may not mean anything) and the data plate has been modified..

Modern lathes of the same size would have around 7 - 10 HP these days but no way in the 50s were you getting that kind of juice unless by special order.

That makes sense as all the thing I have read about these lathes mentioned either 1-2hp motors for the earlier Visby's or 5hp for the "Record" and "Conemaster" lathes.. no mention of a 10hp motor..

BobL
4th Jun 2019, 11:52 PM
I think it's about a 14" swing machine, my previous macson was 16" with 14" Chuck's and was 5hp from the factory. My current 14" DSG is 5.5hp. Both could move about as much metal as I would ever want to, at least 1/4 radial depth of cut at heavy feeds I'd say that 10hp motor was grafted on after the fact. .

I agree it looks like a 5HP motor would be OK on that lathe.

Just so you are aware you can't really run a a 5HP VFD from a 10A or even really a 15A GPO - you will need a 20A GPO on its own line and its own (25A?) breaker. You need to check with a sparky about this.

Flo
5th Jun 2019, 01:16 AM

Just so you are aware you can't really run a a 5HP VFD from a 10A or even really a 15A GPO - you will need a 20A GPO on its own line and its own (25A?) breaker. You need to check with a sparky about this.

Ok great. Thanks for that.. I was starting to think RPC's or just biting the bullet and getting 3 phase power installed! At least a what you have suggested gives me a goal..

Flo
5th Jun 2019, 01:29 AM

Another question: does the replacement motor need to be the same spec in terms of rpm, number of poles and voltage? ie: is it better to run at 415v than 240v 3 phase? I'm not sure what rpm the current motor operates at as there are two speeds stamped on the data plate - the higher of the two is 1445 rpm so I guess a 1400 rpm would suffice rather than 2800 rpm?

BobL
5th Jun 2019, 07:26 AM
Another question: does the replacement motor need to be the same spec in terms of rpm, number of poles and voltage? ie: is it better to run at 415v than 240v 3 phase?
RPMs and #poles - YES, there's no difference with the Voltage.

If you buy/acquire a new or near new 5HP motor then make sure you get one that will run both on 415 3P (Y) and 240V 3P (∆).
These are almost standard these days and the conversion is a doddle and done in the motor mains connection box by switching a couple of connectors around.

I'm not sure what rpm the current motor operates at as there are two speeds stamped on the data plate - the higher of the two is 1445 rpm so I guess a 1400 rpm would suffice rather than 2800 rpm?
1440 would be fine.

bollie7
5th Jun 2019, 12:17 PM
Bigger and way more modern than the old Visby I used to have. Nice looking old thing.
5hp would probably do it as the others have said. I suppose depending on what you plan to do with it you could even get away with a smaller motor. Take shallower cuts. Getting 3 phase connected could be an expensive exercise.
Best of with it
peter

Flo
5th Jun 2019, 07:10 PM
RPMs and #poles - YES, there's no difference with the Voltage.

If you buy/acquire a new or near new 5HP motor then make sure you get one that will run both on 415 3P (Y) and 240V 3P (∆).
These are almost standard these days and the conversion is a doddle and done in the motor mains connection box by switching a couple of connectors around.

1440 would be fine.

Thanks BobL. Looks like I'll be in the market for smaller motor..

Edit: Why is it important for the motor to be dual voltage compatible?

Flo
5th Jun 2019, 07:20 PM
Bigger and way more modern than the old Visby I used to have. Nice looking old thing.
5hp would probably do it as the others have said. I suppose depending on what you plan to do with it you could even get away with a smaller motor. Take shallower cuts. Getting 3 phase connected could be an expensive exercise.
Best of with it
peter

Yes it is quite sizeable and I like the lines of it.. That's kind of why I want to tidy it up and get it looking good again.. not that I mind patina..

I don't plan on doing anything too extreme on it - at least not in the short term! I think a 5hp motor is in my future..

Pumpkinate
5th Jun 2019, 09:06 PM
If you have low voltage 3 phase running outside your place it may be worthwhile connecting 3 phase, also means you can get other 3 phase gear. If not it gets very expensive.

Flo
5th Jun 2019, 11:20 PM
If you have low voltage 3 phase running outside your place it may be worthwhile connecting 3 phase, also means you can get other 3 phase gear. If not it gets very expensive.

I have a power pole right outside my house..

OxxAndBert
6th Jun 2019, 07:59 AM
I have a power pole right outside my house..

How many wires on it? Hopefully more than the 2 that are on mine :(

Steve

BobL
6th Jun 2019, 08:58 AM
Thanks BobL. Looks like I'll be in the market for smaller motor..

Edit: Why is it important for the motor to be dual voltage compatible?

It doesn't have to be dual voltage but your chances of finding a 240V 3P only motor here in OZ are very small.
These motors are used in the US but for many years most motor manufacturers have standardised on making motors that suit both 220- 240V 3P (North America and Japan) and 380-415V 3P (Europe/China/Oz).
If

Flo
6th Jun 2019, 09:42 AM
How many wires on it? Hopefully more than the 2 that are on mine :(

SteveI think there are 4..? I have only lived in this house for 20 years.. haha

Edit: I just checked on Google maps and there are 2 bundles of wires (one above the other), each with perhaps 3 or 4 wires in the cable..

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Flo
6th Jun 2019, 09:46 AM
It doesn't have to be dual voltage but your chances of finding a 240V 3P only motor here in OZ are very small.
These motors are used in the US but for many years most motor manufacturers have standardised on making motors that suit both 220- 240V 3P (North America and Japan) and 380-415V 3P (Europe/China/Oz).
IfSo that has more to do with pairing the motor with a suitable VFD?

BobL
6th Jun 2019, 10:18 AM
So that has more to do with pairing the motor with a suitable VFD?

Not really.

Pumpkinate
6th Jun 2019, 10:26 AM
I think there are 4..? I have only lived in this house for 20 years.. haha

Edit: I just checked on Google maps and there are 2 bundles of wires (one above the other), each with perhaps 3 or 4 wires in the cable..

If you have 3 phase outside and you own the house get it connected... at least get a quote. It means you can then buy big industrial machines which seem to sell cheaper than the hobbyist size stuff. No going back for me...

Flo
6th Jun 2019, 10:40 AM
If you have 3 phase outside and you own the house get it connected... at least get a quote. It means you can then buy big industrial machines which seem to sell cheaper than the hobbyist size stuff. No going back for me...Yeah that's fair.. the limiting factor for me is the capacity of my single car garage to hold much more in terms of machinery..