PDA

View Full Version : Dahlander wound motor reconfiguration

lamestllama
24th May 2019, 03:50 AM
I have a 3 phase 415V Dahlander wound motor 2 speed constant torque motor. When in 4 pole configuration the windings are arranged delta with 2 windings in series between each phase. When in 2 pole configuration the windings are arranged into parallel stars with the centre points connected.

My plan is to reconfigure the windings to give me a delta arrangement such that between each phase there are two parallel windings. This should give me a 2 pole 240v three phase motor.

Unfortunately the ends of all the windings haven't been brought out to the connection box. I am wondering if anybody has had a look inside a Dahlander wound motor recently and can tell me if the ends of windings generally easy to get at?

BobL
24th May 2019, 08:31 AM
I've done a few - it gets tricky as there are MNAY connections inside these motors so you have to be, comfortable with breaking a remaking more junctions than usual, and handy with a multimeter.

Here's a thread about a couple of such motors, WIring arrangements on a ∆∆/Y motor (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f271/wiring-arrangements-motor-183910) and it also shows what coil configurations/arrangements work and those that don't.

lamestllama
24th May 2019, 01:32 PM
I've done a few - it gets tricky as there are MNAY connections inside these motors so you have to be, comfortable with breaking a remaking more junctions than usual, and handy with a multimeter.

Here's a thread about a couple of such motors, WIring arrangements on a ∆∆/Y motor (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f271/wiring-arrangements-motor-183910) and it also shows what coil configurations/arrangements work and those that don't.

BobL I was hoping you would respond. Looks like you have already done what I intend to do with the parallel delta mode. I intend sometimes operating at 25hz so that vibration you got at that speed is a little concerning. It must be electrically induced or you would have noticed it previously.

I will let you know how I go.

BobL
24th May 2019, 05:35 PM
BobL I was hoping you would respond. Looks like you have already done what I intend to do with the parallel delta mode. I intend sometimes operating at 25hz so that vibration you got at that speed is a little concerning. It must be electrically induced or you would have noticed it previously.

Not sure - maybe I wasn't looking too hard previously.
These days if I had picked it up I would have tried to measure it.

I will let you know how I go.
Thanks