PDA

View Full Version : Colchester 3000L with 8 station Duplomatic turret

rickw72
12th May 2019, 03:40 PM
Has anyone had experience with setting up the tool offsets on one of these?

I wanted to get the X zero position set to tool mounting axis so that there wouldn’t be any X axis offset with drills and reamers.

(I have tried the X Axis shift but it always seems to revert to the original setting after powering down?)

Controller is Fanuc OTA. 1980’s vintage. I fixed a slide issue and a turret issue, now just need to do the final setup.

This is a hobby machine!

snapatap
12th May 2019, 08:51 PM
I would recommend asking this question on practical machinist, just whatever you do don't mention its a hobby machine, you will get a bad reception. There are only a couple of people on here with commercial CNC experience. I haven't used anything Fanuc that old but there should be a tool offset page (not sure if this what you mean with X axis shift). Could you post some pics of the screen and what data you are entering and where?

Hunch
17th May 2019, 08:33 PM
Vaguely remember tool offsets would disappear when proving??

600 Group bought a lot of these things in around 89~90. A fair few ended up in govt facilities, along with Cincinatti Milacrons.

Sounds like you may be missing the manuals? While not specific to the 3000, have excess copies of operating, mechanical and OTA basics somewhere here. Duplomatic turrets are pretty mickey mouse, you can understand why so many opted for dickson toolposts on these and Harrisons back in the day when they FU with monotonous regularity.

russ57
18th May 2019, 07:58 PM
Worth trying on madmodder as well. A few guys there playing with old cnc stuff.

Russ

Hunch
19th May 2019, 08:41 AM
Have a hard time thinking in terms of a horizontal turret coming from a vertical toolpost.

Found the books, bit difficult to take an off-centre test cut with a drill! I'd expect there's some method in the madness to retain X in the Z compensation described.

rickw72
9th Jun 2019, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!