PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Sydney

Snapey
5th May 2019, 01:32 AM
Hi everyone. I found this site yesterday so there's a lot of exploring to do but first an introduction.

I'm a 72 years old retired toolmaker who seems to be busier in retirement than when in the work force. I've worked from home since 1980 doing press tools & general engineering but also some contract work elsewhere. Recently widowed I now have plenty of time to get out on one of my motorcycles or play around in my workshop restoring them. I just built a new garage so setting that up is taking time away from riding and finding places for the huge amount of tooling that came with the turret mill I bought doesn't help.

I looked at adding a couple of photo's but couldn't figure out how. I'll ask one of the grandkids later. :U

Briangoldcoast
5th May 2019, 08:51 AM
Welcome Snapey to the best forum on the net.
You wont meet a nicer ,more helpful group of guys, who are always willing to share their knowledge and successes (and failures) with a sense of humour that has always made us Australians.
my knowledge is limited, but I can attest to the other two.
welcome
Brian

Grahame Collins
5th May 2019, 08:52 AM
Hi Snapey,
Welcome to the the MetalWork forum.

There are quite a diverse range of topics to be involved in here.

To have a look around our Forum click on the FORUM box in the top left hand corner.

From the drop down list choose Forum Home and click again. This will present a scroll down page you can select a sub forum topic from.

With your location, you may wish to alter it from Sydney to your particular suburb.Sometimes members may be virtually close by and more likely offer to assist if they know you are just in the next suburb.

There is a simple way to add pics.
In the icon box just above the text reply box choose the icon, third from the RH end .It will present an "insert image" when you pass your cursor over it. Its easy from there.

Welcome again

Cheers
Grahame

old1955
5th May 2019, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Ross

Snapey
9th May 2019, 07:49 PM
Hi Snapey,

There is a simple way to add pics.
In the icon box just above the text reply box choose the icon, third from the RH end .It will present an "insert image" when you pass your cursor over it. Its easy from there.

Welcome again

Cheers
Grahame

Thanks for the welcome and your advice Grahame regarding photo's. Obviously I'm doing something wrong as I've entered two posts containing photo's but both haven't appeared in print. Is there something I'm not doing?

Ropetangler
9th May 2019, 11:21 PM
Welcome from me too Snapey, it looks to me that your only mistake so far is not to involve the grandkids to get those photos up:). As others have said, this is a great forum, very friendly in the main and we cover a large range of topics, including such things as depression. I note that you are recently widowed, that is a huge kick in the guts for anyone and you have my, and I'm sure I can say our condolences for your big loss, so if things start to wear you down a bit, feel free to reach out to others here. On the recent thread on depression, I was amazed by how many here had been touched by the black dog, but it was very heartening to see the other members reach out, to help out, by giving their own insights and experiences on what helped and what didn't for them.
A word of warning though, as a retired toolmaker, your views and experiences are likely to be called on frequently as we are mostly amateurs, lots self taught, some very talented indeed, but others of us can really use the advice of those that really know what's what. I look forward to reading your contributions in the future, and seeing the pictures that those special grandkids will help you with.:2tsup:

KBs PensNmore
10th May 2019, 12:09 AM
As others have mentioned WELCOME to a TOP Forum. Look forward to seeing pics of your restoration work on the bikes, once the Grandkids show you how :D.
Kryn

Grahame Collins
10th May 2019, 02:32 AM
Hi Snapey,

Try this for an alternate way of up loading a pic.

when you have your text, scroll down the page until you see

Manage attachments.
In the box that appears look for ADD FILES in Top RH CNR and click.
In the box that comes up click BROWSE
That will take you to the directory of your computer where you will need to select a picture from a file and click it to upload
See how you go from there- I can't go further unless you run a mac.Once,I could do it on a PC but that was too long ago.

Grahame

Snapey
10th May 2019, 05:04 AM
That's exactly what I did Grahame. Everything I'd typed and also the photo's were visible so I thought all was OK when I submitted the reply. Instantly a notice flashed on the screen that went before I could read it, but I think it said something about being monitored.

Is there a restriction on content until you have a certain amount of posts as is the case with another forum I'm on?

Snapey
10th May 2019, 05:31 AM
I just posted a test in the automotive section and it appeared OK. The only thing I did different from before was to preview prior to sending. Hopefully everything runs smoothly from now.

BTW, many thanks for the welcome, assistance and kind words. I'm also just a PM away if you need help with a project or you're local & would like a coffee.:)

Grahame Collins
10th May 2019, 12:25 PM
Hi Snapey,

With new blokes joining the Forum my understanding was always been there was a requirement of 10 posts before they could post a photo.

From what I am able to see that it works sometimes and sometimes it does not.

For instance there have been posters that have a photo capability from post one. If the ten post requirement is applied to you and not to others I can't explain it. I am sure there is some sort of glitch. All I can do is report it and see what our IT bloke can do.

<EDIT> Ok it is now past post ten and photos are appearing. I shall look for your pics.

Cheers Grahame