PDA

View Full Version : Stuck light seal

Poloris
5th Mar 2019, 10:37 AM
Ive broken a bulb off in my vertex work light.
I need to pull the guts out and possibly replace the bulb holder.
The problem I have is the seal surrounding the reflector is bonded to the body of the lamp.
I tried to push a pallet knife between the seal and the body however the body is tapered and its well stuck.
Perhaps some one can suggest a solution.
Thanks Mark.

BobL
5th Mar 2019, 03:40 PM
Hot air gun - light application ??

Poloris
5th Mar 2019, 03:57 PM
A hot air gun sounds like a excellent idea.
Thanks Bob

Michael G
5th Mar 2019, 07:28 PM
Random thought - have you unscrewed the switch bezel from the back? While not necessarily so, there could be a bracket that the switch clamps between itself and the housing, giving the illusion of 'stuck'.

Michael

Poloris
6th Mar 2019, 01:39 PM
I tried unscrewing the switch at the rear but that was not helpful.
If I had pushed on the reflector would probably have broken it.
I intend to make a jig so I can pull the seal outwards,then apply a little heat and see if that works.
Thanks Mark.

Poloris
8th Mar 2019, 12:41 PM
Got it! Heat pulling and tapping were to no avail, what I thought was a single seal turned out to be 2 steel rings fitted into grooves with the seal and reflector sandwiched between. My eyesight is not what it was.
Not a easy task I was so relieved not to break anything.
Now I will visit the 12 volt shop to get a replacement light fitting and bulb the original did not impress me after all if it broke once it could break again
and HF want $14 per bulb.
Mark

BobL
8th Mar 2019, 01:42 PM
Got it! Heat pulling and tapping were to no avail, what I thought was a single seal turned out to be 2 steel rings fitted into grooves with the seal and reflector sandwiched between. My eyesight is not what it was.
Not a easy task I was so relieved not to break anything.
Now I will visit the 12 volt shop to get a replacement light fitting and bulb the original did not impress me after all if it broke once it could break again
and HF want $14 per bulb.
Mark

Have you seen my post where I replaced the globe with an LED?

Poloris
8th Mar 2019, 02:29 PM
BobL I searched for that post but none of the key words I used gave me a positive result.
Mark

BobL
8th Mar 2019, 02:51 PM
BobL I searched for that post but none of the key words I used gave me a positive result.
Mark
I think it’s in the WW forum. I can track it via image titles. Busy baby sitting ATM but can look for it later if you don’t find it in the interim.
Here it is post #2
Converting machine light to LED (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/converting-machine-light-led-188502#post1808265)