PDA

View Full Version : Buy a small metal turning lathe

colbra
12th Aug 2005, 07:07 AM
Hi could I get some help with buying a small lathe. I would be using it for model making and light general machining.
I am interested in three models A- 60 and AL-50a or AL-50GA. Has any one got these lathes or know any thing about them. They are avalable at Hare & Forbes at Sydney
Regards Col

rodm
12th Aug 2005, 09:53 AM
Any one of these model lathes will serve you well for light machining. I have the AL50GA and have had a good run from it. It is quiet to operate and comes with all the essential accessories. The AL50A is the same lathe without the gearbox. This means that you will have to change gears to set up for different thread and feed rates. This is not a big hassle so if you want to save money then the AL50A is fine. There are some modifications you can do to improve these lathes.

The AL60 is in my opinion a better finished lathe and a bit stronger in the drive. When you open the covers and compare the AL60 has a V belt drive and the AL50's have a smaller - well lacky band. This was my only concern about buying the AL50GA but it hasn't given me any trouble yet. What is missing from the AL60 is a 4 Jaw Chuck and thread chaser.

I thought the thread chaser was important but I rarely cut threads on my small lathe. Because the small lathes don't have a back gear (reduction gear) the spindle speed is too fast and it is very difficult to judge when to stop the thread. The thread chaser isn't a huge issue because you can just stick the motor in reverse you maintain your start point. I usually cut threads with a tap or die in the AL50. If you plan to cut threads using the lathe then think about making a hand crank.

There is heaps of information on the web about both lathes and Yahoo Forums. There is a Rebuild Manual and Introduction and Operation Manual for the Al50 on the Yahoo 9X20 lathe group that is well worth a look. The AL50's are referred to as 9X20 and are a copy of the Emco lathe. The AL60 comes from the Sieg range.

Bodgy
12th Aug 2005, 04:58 PM
I have been looking at small lathes for a while too. Whilst I would be the first to admit I know bugger all compared to others on the forum, I would suggest you have a look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/500MM-LATHE-DRILL-MILL-3-IN-1-COMBINATION-MACHINE-new_W0QQitemZ7536821937QQcategoryZ105827QQcmdZViewItem

They have quite a few different models, the one above takes my fancy cause of the milling attachment.

Also I have found dealing with Hare and Forbes in Sydney, a discouraging experience, they are quite inflexible I find, wont match prices etc. Maybe just got someone on a bad day.

Bodgy

Dr Dee
14th Aug 2005, 06:12 PM
Colbra,
I have been looking at these low end units for quite a while but have been put off by what I see when I go looking at them. Rather than give you my impressions I suggest that you look at the following web site, especially the 'Lathe Buying Advice ' section.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html

The low end combined mill-lathe units all have major limitations, but if you have time and are not going to push it then they will probably be ok. I have decided to wait until I have more time and will buy something like the X3 mill and a lathe with back-gearing.

cheers