PDA

View Full Version : Machining aluminium on Vertical drill

Paddy
11th Aug 2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Guys,
I need to machine some small sections of aluminium for a router table i am building.
Need to cut a 3mm deep by 10mm wide rebate in a 300*300*8mm plate, as well as a couple of rebates on the edges.
Can anyone advise on.. cutter types, rpm required..lubricants etc.
Thought this would be easier to control than trying to use a high speed router.

Paddy

rodm
12th Aug 2005, 12:46 AM
I am assuming that you are planning to guide the plate along a straight edge on the drill table. IMHO I wouldn't as the plate has a high risk of taking off in any direction. The plate will only be held down by the cutting tool and your hands. A drill press does not offer much protection for the operator and the hands will be passing the cutting tool. On a drill press slower speeds through the stepped pulleys increases the torque and gives the operator a false sense of being safer because the quill is slower. I had an old cast alloy Sher hand drill that twisted my wrists many a time before I threw it.

This is really a job for a milling machine but if you have to stick with the router make sure your plate is firmly held down. The trick is to have a rigid setup for the workpiece and fence. A few coutersunk screws through the plate and into a work table should firm it up and give you a flat path for the router. Slowest router speed and most importantly use WD40, CRC or Kero as a lubricant.

I have only routed aluminum a couple of times and never felt at ease doing it. I think Soundman does it quite a bit and has offered advise on this forum so a search might point you in the right direction.

Stuart
12th Aug 2005, 01:51 PM
I've had a crack before - slowed the router down to its slowest speed, and used a bit that isn't good for anything else (still TCT). Seemed to go ok, just took it slow! I've tried it both hand-held and table mounted, and not much different to a hard wood, just scarier in concept.