PDA

View Full Version : Checking in from Pennsylvania, USA

mikalius
25th Jan 2019, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Mike and I've only been into machining for a few years now, but it's very quickly consuming both my free time and money! I've gone from musician to recording engineer to carpenter, to healthcare IT guy, back to general contractor through the years. Now all of a sudden I wish I had had some exposure to machining earlier; I suspect I would have made a good tool/die maker.

I've gotten my hands on a cheap Chinese mini lathe (which is how I caught the bug), then a 1958 Bridgeport mill (which I got for free somehow), a 11x40 Logan lathe from 1960, and most recently a 1928 Brown & Sharpe #2 surface grinder which is in need of some love.

I've also been lucky enough to volunteer at a 1910-era line shaft machine shop nearby; the crew there is a wealth of knowledge and experience and seeing the old machines working like new is a testament to how over-built most of that stuff was.

I found this forum looking for reference material for the B&B grinder and caught a thread by Stray Alien over at Practical Machinist which lead me here to his monster thread on his #2 rebuild.

I suspect I'll be starting a thread to compliment Greg's; mine wasn't a box of rusty parts, so it probably won't be nearly as exciting.

Mike

KBs PensNmore
26th Jan 2019, 12:54 AM
Hi Mike and Welcome to a TOP FORUM. In case you haven't worked it out, we love pics and reports of WIP (Work In Progress) on stuff.
Kryn

jack620
26th Jan 2019, 03:07 PM
Welcome Mike.

old1955
26th Jan 2019, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike.

Ross

BRADFORD
27th Jan 2019, 07:11 PM
Welcome Mike, I would love to see some pictures of that line shaft machine shop.

mikalius
11th Feb 2019, 05:09 AM
would love to see some pictures of that line shaft machine shop.

Took me a few days to put this up there, but here you go!

http://metalworkforums.com/f301/t202883-1910-era-line-shaft-machine-shop