PDA

View Full Version : Easy Star to Delta conversion

lamestllama
30th Nov 2018, 11:32 PM
This bandsaw 377180 is getting a VFD and it's current 1/2 hp three phase motor is being replaced with this 377179 1hp 4 pole 3 phase star wound 415v motor from a recently acquired Waldown 3M which will get a metric motor to go with the metric only pulleys now available from Waldown.

Finding and bringing out the wires joined to form the centre of the star was relatively easy so I have posted the process so others may decide to have a go if they has a motor that looks the same.

Regards

Eric

KBs PensNmore
1st Dec 2018, 12:14 AM
Hi Eric, Thanks for the pics and "How To". I think I have an easier but lazy way of doing one? Answer, send it to you, along with $100.00.:D
If I tried it, I'd probably electrocute myself!!!!!!!!!
Kryn

LexD
2nd Dec 2018, 09:06 AM
I did the same conversion to a Waldown motor a few years ago.

lamestllama
2nd Dec 2018, 09:55 AM
I did the same conversion to a Waldown motor a few years ago.
Looks just like mine. Nice to know there is consistency in manufacture.

BobL
2nd Dec 2018, 10:37 AM
Just a comment on the use of regular shrink fit and ordinary PVC insulated wiring to affect conversions. While it probably less of an issue in the case of smaller motors it's safer if higher temperature shrink fit is used, or cover regular heat shrink with fibreglass or silica sleeving. Instead of regular PVC insulated wiring I use the higher temperature rated silicone wiring found inside stoves. There are plenty of these on the sides of the road during council pickup times.

lamestllama
2nd Dec 2018, 11:48 AM
Just a comment on the use of regular shrink fit and ordinary PVC insulated wiring to affect conversions. While it probably less of an issue in the case of smaller motors it's safer if higher temperature shrink fit is used, or cover regular heat shrink with fibreglass or silica sleeving. Instead of regular PVC insulated wiring I use the higher temperature rated silicone wiring found inside stoves. There are plenty of these on the sides of the road during council pickup times.

BobL

Totally agree I should have included a photo of the wire I added to this motor to make it completely clear I had considered the temperature implications. Here is the silicon insulated wire I used. 377189 I also used a high melting point solder and heat shrink. Ideally I would like a source of fibreglass or silica sleeving too as yet I have not discovered one.

Eric

BobL
2nd Dec 2018, 11:59 AM
I also used a high melting point solder and heat shrink. Ideally I would like a source of fibreglass or silica sleeving too as yet I have not discovered one.

I bought a 1m length from altronics a few years ago for about $5 and then Anorak Bob gave me a length and that has been enough for more than 15 motor conversions. Have also since found several old bar heaters by the side of the road and they had short lengths of the stuff inside.

lamestllama
2nd Dec 2018, 12:02 PM
I bought a 1m length from altronics a few years ago for about $5 and then Anoral Bob gave me a length and that has been enough for more than 15 motor conversions. Have also since found several old bar heaters by the side of the road and they had short lengths of the stuff inside.

The SA version of Altronics is called AZtronics for some reason. Unfortunately it isn't open on weekends which is when I usually get the need. I will make a point of making sure I get some in. Is it in the Altronics catalogue? Also the fun of roadside collection is fast disappearing here with most council areas getting rid of the mass hard rubbish collection in favour of booked collection per household. It is a great pity it used to be a fantastic time for those bent on recycling.

Eric

BobL
2nd Dec 2018, 12:29 PM
The SA version of Altronics is called AZtronics for some reason. Unfortunately it isn't open on weekends which is when I usually get the need. I will make a point of making sure I get some in. Is it in the Altronics catalogue?
https://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=fibreglas%2Bsheathing,
Jaycar also had it the last time I was there

Also the fun of roadside collection is fast disappearing here with most council areas getting rid of the mass hard rubbish collection in favour of booked collection per household. It is a great pity it used to be a fantastic time for those bent on recycling.
Ours has been cut from twice a year to once a year but is still a veritable gold mine for folks like me. The council also support people taking stuff from the piles as long as we leave the piles in a tidy state. We have the inevitable treasure hunters that come out the day before collections and do the rounds. My favourite is the bloke riding a pushbike towing a small trailer piled high with stuff tied down with ocky straps plus saddle bags over his front and back wheels.

lamestllama
2nd Dec 2018, 01:17 PM
https://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=fibreglas%2Bsheathing,
Jaycar also had it the last time I was there

The vidaflex fibreglass sheathing has been dicontinued at jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/vidaflex-fibreglass-sleeving/p/WS5504 and its replacement https://www.jaycar.com.au/high-temperature-basalt-fibre-sleeving-3mm-x-1m/p/WS5510?utm_campaign=redirect&utm_source=WS5510r&utm_medium=web just frays as you cut it IMO it is almost useless. I bought some to try on this motor and resorted to the high temp heat shrink.

Eric

BaronJ
2nd Dec 2018, 11:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I like the salvage and re-purpose of this thread !

Anything domestic that gets hot will have heat resistant cabling in it ! From coffee machines to ovens and in some cases even washing machines.

LexD
4th Dec 2018, 10:01 PM
Looks just like mine. Nice to know there is consistency in manufacture.

Yes, it is the same type of CMG motor.

lamestllama
4th Dec 2018, 10:33 PM
Yes, it is the same type of CMG motor.

Nice work adding the terminal box with standard setup for swapping between wye and delta