PDA

View Full Version : Newby

Steve finch
6th Nov 2018, 01:09 PM
Hi , I'm Steve finch , I've got a small home work shop,motorcycles are my thing. I've got a small 4 1/2" boxford lathe and a hercus OLM mill which I've just acquired. I don't have it running yet, I had to get a new drive gear cut for it also someone had greased the machine when it's a total loss oil system do I had to pull it apart and clean all the grease out of it. I'm chasing a users manual for it if someone could point me in the right direction. Well that's me , thanks for having me.

BobL
6th Nov 2018, 01:55 PM
Hi , I'm Steve finch , I've got a small home work shop,motorcycles are my thing. I've got a small 4 1/2" boxford lathe and a hercus OLM mill which I've just acquired. I don't have it running yet, I had to get a new drive gear cut for it also someone had greased the machine when it's a total loss oil system do I had to pull it apart and clean all the grease out of it. I'm chasing a users manual for it if someone could point me in the right direction. Well that's me , thanks for having me.

Welcome Steve, I got myself a OLM earlier this year and have a little experience but there are blokes on these forums that can drive them like swiss watches and they have been very helpful in setting me up. A few pics of how I set mine up are here http://metalworkforums.com/f189/t201814-finally-mill

There are no manuals for the mill. There are some photos of the accessories, mechanical drawings, recommended lube points, and running speeds for different materials in documents for sale on a CD on ebay for $25 by the current holder of the remaining Hercus IP. Are the worth the money - for a newbie I'd say yes, otherwise maybe not that useful.

Some Hercus mills are unfortunately clogged with thick grease and they really have to be pulled apart to clean out the grease. Others may have been lubed with a lighter grease which may be able to be pushed out of the bearings if you pump enough oil into the nipples. This is no guarantee of course so if you are concerned or it is hard to pump the oil into the bearings then they should be pulled apart. The oil should squirt in and come out quite easily.

old1955
6th Nov 2018, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Grahame Collins
9th Nov 2018, 08:34 AM
Hi Steve,
Welcome to our Forum. As a new member you can get lots of support, just ask the questions.
It is also good to give back when someone else asks a question and you have the knowledge and experience to help them out.

If have any dificulty in navigating the forum drop me a PM and I can help.

Welcome to one of the best metalworking Forums on the net.

Grahame