PDA

View Full Version : G'Day From Oregon

Norseman C.B.
7th Oct 2018, 11:03 AM
Hello all; Just joined up today, hope to get to know, learn from, and show what I can from
Y'All down under..............:cool:

old1955
7th Oct 2018, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Norseman C.B.
8th Oct 2018, 05:22 AM
Thank you Sir.....................:cool:

jack620
17th Oct 2018, 01:15 PM
Welcome Norseman. The good news for you is there are plenty of guys on this forum old enough to remember inches!

Norseman C.B.
17th Oct 2018, 04:52 PM
Thanks Chris; I still hate metric, but sometimes it's a necessary evil to be dealt with

Norseman C.B.
25th Oct 2018, 06:41 AM
Welcome Norseman. The good news for you is there are plenty of guys on this forum old enough to remember inches!

Thank you Jack; They tried to teach metric to us in grade school, I get it but still don't like it...........:rolleyes:

Steamwhisperer
25th Oct 2018, 06:48 AM
Welcome Norseman
I am one that is in total agreement on Imperial

Phil

Norseman C.B.
25th Oct 2018, 01:44 PM
Thank you sir, good to know .............:2tsup:

BobL
25th Oct 2018, 02:48 PM
Welcome Norseman.Nice State you live in!

I can do inches, metric and even Klingon measurements if required. I remember using ft/lbs in grade 10 in the 1960's and then both imperial and metric in grades 11/12 and first and second year university. Then after 2nd year university we went totally metric. I worked for two and half years in the US in the 80's but the boss was Austrian so we were totally metric inside the lab but I felt right at home outside. Then from 1995 to ~2012 I worked closely (mostly via internet) with USGS scientists in Virginia and they were as good at metric as I was in imperial so we used either but they increasingly used metric as US Fed Gov reports mandated metric reporting.

snapatap
25th Oct 2018, 05:15 PM
Welcome Norseman.Nice State you live in!

I can do inches, metric and even Klingon measurements if required. I remember using ft/lbs in grade 10 in the 1960's and then both imperial and metric in grades 11/12 and first and second year university. Then after 2nd year university we went totally metric. I worked for two and half years in the US in the 80's but the boss was Austrian so we were totally metric inside the lab but I felt right at home outside. Then from 1995 to ~2012 I worked closely (mostly via internet) with USGS scientists in Virginia and they were as good at metric as I was in imperial so we used either but they increasingly used metric as US Fed Gov reports mandated metric reporting.

Please convert 1mm to Klingon please.:U

BobL
25th Oct 2018, 06:16 PM
Please convert 1mm to Klingon please.:U

Klingon was a unit invented when we were kids to to describe the diameter of a movement resulting in a blocked toilet.
Going on this morning's effort it's about 30 mm - you can work it out from there.

snapatap
26th Oct 2018, 05:42 PM
Well that's on what i was expecting. I was thinking more the alien race from star trek.

Grahame Collins
26th Oct 2018, 11:37 PM
Welcome Norseman C.B.

Welcome to the group. A finer bunch you won't find in a days march.
A bit of a heads up for you if you wish to post piccies.
Pics posted within your first ten posts will come under moderation. It's a security anti-spam thing which applies to every new poster.

Should you need to post some pics (we welcome piccies-photos) do so, but be aware they need to be approved as otherwise only you and I can see them. If you think the approval response is a bit slow ,don't hesitate to PM me and I'll sort it for you.

We would love to know what you are doing with metals.
In return, we will teach you to speak "Stralian" and you can teach us "Mericun".

As far as dimensions go, well you know what its like.

Give someone an inch and they will take a meter :D

Cheers mate

Grahame

Norseman C.B.
27th Oct 2018, 08:28 AM
Grahame; Thank you for the welcome, and the heads up on posting pics.
Y'all have a good day...................:D

Abratool
27th Oct 2018, 10:54 AM
Welcome Norseman
I am also into inches particularly when using a micrometer or vernier.
Do not believe I will ever change.
Bruce
ps Visited Klamath Falls Oregon around 1968, a nice place !

Norseman C.B.
28th Oct 2018, 05:27 AM
Thanks Brucel; I was in Sydney for R&R for 4 days back in 1980 while on a West Pac tour of duty
aboard the USS Ajax.
I sure wish I'd had more time to explore your country, Sydney was nice but I'm a country boy at heart.............. :wink:

Cliff