PDA

View Full Version : Burst Capacitor

kenny_10
5th Oct 2018, 09:35 AM
Hi.
Was using my Scheer HM30 router the other day when it stopped and started smoking.. also tripped the house fuse !
On examination I found it was a capacitor that exploded.
This part goes between the two black power wires than go to the stator.. its a bit hard to read, but it looks like 0.1uF +2x2500 pF..

btw .. the other little black thingy has one wire to the frame and the other to the earth connection (junction) on the fibre board ??

What are these things for ?
ken.

Chas
5th Oct 2018, 06:27 PM
The ruptured capacitor network is an EMI filter to limit electrical noise being fed back into the mains. The operation of the motor is not dependent on it, the manufacturer has probably included it in the circuit to comply with a particular State or Country Standard. You could disconnect it and throw away if you wish.
I think the other "little black thingy" is a bleed inductor from frame to ground. It is difficult to read the label due to the light reflection. I would leave it connected.

Chas.

BaronJ
6th Oct 2018, 02:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I think you will find that it is a resistor, about 10 ohms, used to reduce earth current surge from the capacitors.

kenny_10
6th Oct 2018, 11:25 AM
The writing reads...2.5 mH 10% 0.03 ohms.. as mentioned, one wire goes to the frame of the router while the other goes to a link (pic 4).. this link is riveted to the fibre board with no connections to anything else..

BaronJ
7th Oct 2018, 02:49 AM
The writing reads...2.5 mH 10% 0.03 ohms.. as mentioned, one wire goes to the frame of the router while the other goes to a link (pic 4).. this link is riveted to the fibre board with no connections to anything else..

In that case Chas was right ! It still needs to go back though.