PDA

View Full Version : Michael G and work II

Michael G
29th Sep 2018, 03:32 PM
I've been holding this news for the last few days and Ben's post (http://metalworkforums.com/f65/t202400-job) has prompted me that I should be telling you guys about it too. On Tuesday I was offered a job back in Adelaide. It's with Flinders University - I'm not exactly sure what the work will be but basically helping with the design and manufacture of experimental equipment. I've always said that I like challenge and variety in my work. I think I'm about to get it in spades...

Should be back in Adelaide 2nd/3rd week in November for all those people who asked for some help with bits and pieces. Will my workshop remember who I am??

Michael

lamestllama
29th Sep 2018, 04:33 PM
Michael,
Congratulations! What a great outcome.
Eric

old1955
29th Sep 2018, 04:34 PM
Nice one Michael.

Ross

BobL
29th Sep 2018, 06:10 PM
Congrats on the new job. :2tsup:

Having visited most University workshops around Australia I seem to remember the Flinders workshop was reasonable as far as Uni workshops go.
Should be a lot of fun provided you don't run into too many unreasonable researchers or academics.

KBs PensNmore
29th Sep 2018, 07:16 PM
Congratulations on the new job:2tsup:. Hopefully the boffins there don't want something that is impossible to make.
Look forward to catching up with you when I drop down.
Kryn

Steamwhisperer
30th Sep 2018, 10:54 AM
Best news I've heard in a while Michael. I guess I'll cancel the road trip to Tassie and pencil a new one to Adelaide Woo hoo.

Phil

steamingbill
30th Sep 2018, 01:34 PM
Congratulations, well done - should be lotsa interesting stuff to do.

Bill

Michael G
30th Sep 2018, 04:35 PM
I guess I'll cancel the road trip to Tassie and pencil a new one to Adelaide

I wouldn't go that far Phil. If you timed it right to be here when the Sheffield steam fest was on and also visited Pearns, some of the railway sites and a few others I reckon you would be in steam heaven (Perhaps your other half would never speak to me again for suggesting it but...)

Still trying to put a plan together to get from Melbourne to Adelaide but who knows - I might drop in on the way through

Michael

DSEL74
1st Oct 2018, 09:03 AM
Congrats on the new job. I hope your talents are out to good use and you find it rewarding.

China
1st Oct 2018, 05:47 PM
Congrats on the new position, jobs of that nature never get boring always something different

Michael G
23rd Oct 2018, 10:19 PM
Due to timing issues my move back came forward and I traveled back from Tasmania last night on the ferry and then drove over to Adelaide today. Things were a bit rushed in the few weeks so I'm still trying to remember some of the background stuff that the mind shoves to one side when concentrating on the immediate tasks.

I should also again thank those members who helped out either physically or organised things for me while I was there, in particular Bollie7, Welder, PDW, KBs PensNmore and Ropetangler. Apologies if I've missed anyone (tell me and I'll happily add you to the list)

While I was in Tas and away from my workshop, several members asked if I could help with parts of their projects. Some were definites and others were 'might need some help' sort of inquiries. The names seem to be slowly coming back to me but if the people who approached me (or I offered help to) can let me know whether they still need the help, that will make things lots easier for me to coordinate. I'll contact people as I remember them but if you want to make sure your bits are done then an email or PM will make sure you don't slip off the list.

I don't start with my new employer for a couple of weeks and while there will be things that need to be done around home, it means some of these jobs that need uninterrupted pieces of time are more likely to get done

Michael

KBs PensNmore
23rd Oct 2018, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear that you're home. Enjoy the new job. Was the place in Tasmania, sorry to see you go?
Kryn

Michael G
24th Oct 2018, 04:24 PM
... Was the place in Tasmania, sorry to see you go?

They were (more than I would have expected for a contractor), but at the same time very understanding of the need to support family

Michael

old1955
24th Oct 2018, 06:59 PM
Nice to see you back home Michael.

Ross

Steamwhisperer
25th Oct 2018, 06:44 AM
Fantastic to see you on the way through Michael and many thanks for the gifts. Glad you got home ok.

Phil

eskimo
1st Nov 2018, 11:20 AM
congrats...you didnt tell me the other day...:)

Michael G
1st Nov 2018, 11:46 AM
I thought everyone knew...:doh:

Michael

Michael G
18th Mar 2019, 07:40 AM
...if things got desperate, would you go back to Tassie?

If I was desperate, then interstate is still an option. However, it cost literally thousands to pack up and come back here in a hurry, so not keen to do that again. If I worked interstate, then it would be a semi-permanent move so there is all that stuffing around too.
The thing that really annoys me about this ending is that I committed to the organisation in good faith - they (or their representative) never really wanted this to work. That makes me a little gun shy at the moment about making a large effort to relocate in case I find myself in the same situation.

Michael

eskimo
18th Mar 2019, 08:55 AM
"I should point out that the job I came back for has now been terminated."

gee that was short ....hope you find work real soon.

snapatap
18th Mar 2019, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear that. I will keep my ear to the ground.

Michael G
18th Mar 2019, 06:32 PM
Thanks to all (both here and via email/ PM) who have expressed their support. I do have some applications in so I hope it won't be long before I'm gainfully employed. This one hurts because it was one of those jobs that looked (and was) really interesting with a lot of potential. I think the potential part was what was most worrying to my manager...

Michael

caskwarrior
18th Mar 2019, 07:38 PM
Wish i was able to give management a stiff talking to followed by a good kick right in the bumhole.

KBs PensNmore
18th Mar 2019, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Michael G;1947613I think the potential part was what was most worrying to my manager...Michael[/QUOTE]

Strange when someone smarter is employed, that the position is terminated pretty smartly when they find out how good they are????
Hope something more permanent comes up REAL soon.
Kryn

Grahame Collins
18th Mar 2019, 08:17 PM
Hi Michael,
I am sorry to hear this. Your ex employer sounds like a real rrsole.

Its probably a better thing in the long and hopefully someone will utilise your considerable skills quite soon.

Good luck with your search.

Grahame

Michael G
13th May 2019, 10:42 PM
I hope this is the last time I will need to be updating this thread...
Word is slowly getting out but I started another job around 2 weeks ago. Just warming up at the moment so still going slower than I would like but shows promise. The company makes and sells things mainly in the electrical/ electronic area under a number of brands but I'm employed by 'head office' to work across the brands sorting out problems, designing parts and generally keeping things moving. One of the interesting tasks in front of me at the moment is a metrology area that can measure down to tenths of microns. In that area, thermal effects from the temperature varying a degree can change the measuring outcome noticeably.

I'd like to thank people again for their support, either through the forum, via PM or in person. It has certainly helped me to keep plugging away.

Michael

Grahame Collins
13th May 2019, 11:07 PM
Fan - bloody -tastic Michael,

It is the best thing I have heard all week.

Grahame

Ropetangler
13th May 2019, 11:41 PM
Fan - bloody -tastic Michael,

It is the best thing I have heard all week.

Grahame
I'm with Grahame on this one Michael, that is good news indeed, and I hope that you never have issues with abusers of power again, Good Luck.:2tsup:

old1955
14th May 2019, 01:47 PM
Great news Michael.

Ross

Briangoldcoast
14th May 2019, 09:11 PM
congratulations on your new job Michael. I'm sure you will excel at that type of challenge
regards
Brian

jhovel
15th May 2019, 01:27 AM
Congratulations Michael!
See you soon.