PDA

View Full Version : Prusa factory visit

kwijibo99
24th Sep 2018, 08:23 AM
Today my family and I got to visit the Prusa factory in Prague. The factory is usually closed for tours on the weekend but after my wife posted a query on the Prusa forum one of the employees offered to give us a personal tour which was extremely kind of him.

It was a real eye opener to see the ins an outs of how things are done by a manufacturer at the cutting edge of the open source / maker 3D printing community. We got to see every generation of Prusa printer from the very first one Josef built to the latest using the new MMU. We got to see the new in-house fillament line including the gift of a spool of the new Prusament. The pre delivery testing department where every component is tested prior to use in either assembled printers or kits. The support area where a dozen or more support techs each have a dedicated printer or two to assist users having issues. We even got to see where the secret Prusa SL1 SLA printer is being developed, unfortunately the prototype versions were over at the New York maker fair for their big release this weekend.

Perhaps the most impressive thing was the print farm where in excess of three hundred Prusa printers are running 24 hours a day producing the printed components for, you guessed it, more Prusa printers. I was allowed to take some photos of the print farm, some of which can be seen below.

375713 375710 375708
375717 375716 375715

Cheers,
Greg.

KBs PensNmore
24th Sep 2018, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the writeup and pics Greg. Amazing to see all the printers printing more parts.
I see that their filament is on MIG wire type reels.
Enjoy the trip.
Kryn