PDA

View Full Version : Heat treating company that deals with the hobbyist?

Pete O
17th Sep 2018, 12:47 PM
I dabbled in knife making several years ago, turned out a few knives that I was happy with but have not had time to take this up since. I sent a couple of blades to Hills Heat Treating in Bayswater, they were very helpful, reasonably priced and happy to deal with a hobby knife maker- I got the impression they did this a lot.
A project that I have on the slowburner at present is a bunch of custom archery broadheads. I've ordered some RWL34 stainless for the blades as I was very happy with this stuff in a couple of my knives. I looked up Hills heat treatment with a view to sending the finished blades to them for hardening but it appears they have gone out of business. There appear to be several businesses around offering heat treatment but their websites give the impression that they are focussed on heavy industry. Does anyone know a mob that offer heat treatment and are happy to deal with the little bloke? I don't do enough of this to even contemplate getting a kiln etc myself.

China
17th Sep 2018, 02:41 PM
Now that Hills are no more I use this mob, although they are S.A. Tooling and General Heat Treatment - Home - Adelaide, South Australia (http://www.toolgen.com.au/)

Pete O
17th Sep 2018, 11:46 PM
Thanks for that China, I'll give them a call when i get close to having something to treat. Being interstate isn't an issue, I would have mailed the stuff to Hills anyway.

KBs PensNmore
18th Sep 2018, 12:14 AM
Hi Pete, Just a thought in a recent edition of MEW there's an article on making a kiln over several issues.
Kryn

Pete O
18th Sep 2018, 04:00 PM
Hi Pete, Just a thought in a recent edition of MEW there's an article on making a kiln over several issues.
Kryn

I don't have time for the projects I already have going!

electrosteam
18th Sep 2018, 06:14 PM
I took a mate to R&J Heat Treatment in Seton Rd Mooremank (next to Liverpool NSW) recently to pick up a couple of hobby pieces for a small cash payment.
Chatted quickly at the counter, they seemed very approachable.
Small industrial single fronted site, 3 guys (near knock-off time), looked good (for a heat-treatment plant) with pallets and bins of goods waiting processing/pick-up, and they have got a good web page.
My mate swears by them.
John

Pete O
18th Sep 2018, 11:10 PM
Thanks John, I'll have a look at their website. Nice to know there are still some companies that have not outgrown their customers.