PDA

View Full Version : Hi from north west Sydney

simplicio
10th Sep 2018, 12:26 AM
Hi all,

Well this is a surprise! I went to register and found that I had already registered back in 2005 for the woodwork forums, but then moved on to other things (mortgage repayments mostly). Now, 13 years later and in semi retirement, I've bought my first metal lathe (Sieg SC4) and mill (Sieg SX2.7) and am looking forward to learning some new skills.

Cheers,
Andrew.

old1955
11th Sep 2018, 05:16 PM
Welcome Andrew.

steamingbill
12th Sep 2018, 01:50 AM
G'day Andrew,

A Lathe and a Mill right from the start - you dont muck around - well done - you'll be able to do heaps of interesting things with those. I found the Workshop Practice books and Spareys book "The Amateurs Lathe" to be pretty good reading to get an initial appreciation of some of the differences between holding and cutting wood vs holding and cutting metal.

Bill

oldboy
12th Sep 2018, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the group hope you enjoy your stay, it is a great place to be.

Barry,
Blacktown.

simplicio
12th Sep 2018, 04:02 PM
Thanks Bill, I'll see if I can find those books.

I've watched an awful lot of Youtube videos so far, and thought I was up to speed, but it's amazing the difference between just watching and actually doing. I've broken so many cutters and nearly crashed the lathe once. To help avoid a repeat I'm about to replace the control panel touch switches with paddle switches so that I can operate the lathe by feel instead of having to look at the control panel ... just waiting for parts to arrive.

Andrew.

Grahame Collins
17th Sep 2018, 11:36 AM
Can I suggest that you start a thread in the GENERAL Metalwork section.?

Tell us what sort of cutters-HSS or inserts and the material you are cutting - the type of steel and diameter and spindle RPM used.

There are a few guys here with Seig lathes so they will be in a good position to help you.

There is a lot of general stuff to learn and I am confident that members will pitch in an offer advice as to why you are breaking cutters.

You will be making chips soon I am sure!

Grahame