PDA

View Full Version : Belt Grinder

eskimo
31st Aug 2018, 12:31 PM
I started on this project some months ago and have got back into it.

All made from hot roll steel.

Its going to have a a VFD/motor belt driven shaft and a flex (?) coupling to another shaft to run disc sander on other side of of grinding station...same as the blue one on here somewhere.

I wont be making the wheels..i bought them

KBs PensNmore
31st Aug 2018, 12:50 PM
Nice work on the linisher, should work a treat:2tsup:
Is the drill press a bit awkward to use down low like that:?
Also your shed looks a bit like mine:D
Kryn

eskimo
31st Aug 2018, 03:13 PM
Is the drill press a bit awkward to use down low like that:?
Also your shed looks a bit like mine:D
Kryn

You supposed to be looking at the belt grinder ...not my messy shed nor the stuff I will get around to restoring ..one day
running out of room..lol

She and I was talking last night...but I wasnt listening as I should have, but this morning I realised I heard her say she wants an outside entertaining area...I am now thinking about how we can come to an arrangement where she gets her outside entertainment area and i get a addon bay (or maybe 2 even??) to my shed

Oldbikerider
31st Aug 2018, 06:53 PM
eskimo,
Nice looking grinder project, but what makes me most happy about your post, like Kryn, is that there is someone else with a shed as untidy and as full of stuff as mine!

I reckon you are on the right track with the deal for the add ons. I'm waiting for a similar opportunity myself. Good luck.

Graham.

jatt
2nd Sep 2018, 06:19 PM
Its all in there somewhere.... just keep looking!!

Looks like it will be better built then most of the stuff u see getting around the traps.

paul33
17th Sep 2018, 04:27 PM
Where do you buy the wheels for a project like this? What size are they ?
thanks
paul

BaronJ
17th Sep 2018, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I would have thought that a foot of 50 to 70 mm diameter plastic bar would allow you to make them easily enough, and cheaper than buying them.

tohot
17th Sep 2018, 10:46 PM
As long as it's not a work wheel, Acetal or aluminium would do the job. Acetal will get too hot and melt and aluminium has no give, rubber wheels are really the only alternative for a work wheel.

BaronJ
18th Sep 2018, 03:20 AM
Hi Tohot,

I hadn't realised that you were working against a wheel, I had assumed a flat bed plate. Sorry !

DSEL74
18th Sep 2018, 09:35 AM
People do both use the wheel for say hollow grinding a knife blade. Or use a flat platen. These style of grinders usually have interchangeable arms. That is what the large square socket is for.

eskimo
28th Apr 2019, 05:17 PM
Its a WIP...but still coming along
I have put a coupling in so that I can drive a faceplate on the side. The coupling will allow for easier belt changes. Need a bit moe shaft for the faceplate.

lamestllama
28th Apr 2019, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=eskimo;1949692]Its a WIP...but still coming along
/QUOTE]

What does the rest of the stand look like? I am currently obsessing about machine stands.

eskimo
28th Apr 2019, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=eskimo;1949692]Its a WIP...but still coming along
/QUOTE]

What does the rest of the stand look like? I am currently obsessing about machine stands.

A cabinet that came with the Darex's
Doors on the other side.

Ropetangler
28th Apr 2019, 07:18 PM
Nice looking work Eskimo, and you haven't held back on the steel sections either. The lightest bits look like about 16mm in thickness, you will need to assemble it where you plan to install it unless you have a Franner or a Hyster to move it about:2tsup:.
A great young YouTuber, Jeremy Schmidt, has produced an outstanding looking machine, and if you are unfamiliar with his work, he is definitely well worth a look. I realise that you have yours well under way, but you may pick up an idea somewhere along the way, either in the original build video, or some of the subsequent videos featuring some modifications and additional accessories that he has come up with. Congratulations again on your work, a link to JS's original build follows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_RlL1O-bK4

eskimo
28th Apr 2019, 07:38 PM
Nice looking work Eskimo, and you haven't held back on the steel sections either. The lightest bits look like about 16mm in thickness, you will need to assemble it where you plan to install it unless you have a Franner or a Hyster to move it about:2tsup:.
A great young YouTuber, Jeremy Schmidt, has produced an outstanding looking machine, and if you are unfamiliar with his work, he is definitely well worth a look. I realise that you have yours well under way, but you may pick up an idea somewhere along the way, either in the original build video, or some of the subsequent videos featuring some modifications and additional accessories that he has come up with. Congratulations again on your work, a link to JS's original build follows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_RlL1O-bK4

Thanks and yeah i saw that but I cant change mine now to tilt...he did make a good grinder...

and oh its (mine) 3/4 & 1/2 inch

Ropetangler
28th Apr 2019, 09:01 PM
Thanks and yeah i saw that but I cant change mine now to tilt...he did make a good grinder...

and oh its (mine) 3/4 & 1/2 inch
I wasn't thinking that you would want to make that change, with yours so far down the construction journey, but there might be some ideas that you can incorporate without starting over again with some of the accessory tables for instance. With your machined all over and heavy sections with no welding, warping out of shape should not be an issue for you. I look forward to the conclusion of your project, and the support cabinet looks the part too, Good luck with it all

eskimo
28th Apr 2019, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Ropetangler;1949719]I wasn't thinking that you would want to make that change, with yours so far down the construction journey, but there might be some ideas that you can incorporate without starting over again with some of the accessory tables for instance. With your machined all over and heavy sections with no welding, warping out of shape should not be an issue for you. I look forward to the conclusion of your project, and the support cabinet looks the part too, Good luck with it all[/QUOT

accesory tables...gee I am concerned as to whether or not this is going to work as planned or intended at this stage....but yeah i will pinch ideas as required...i am not concerned about about using others brains...saves mine from getting a headache

eskimo
19th May 2019, 06:45 PM
Another thing I learned over the last few days is that I cant spray paint as well as I once could. I sprayed mum n dads cars and all of mine when i was a lot younger....and a lot better than this.

But i reckon this still looks good...in dim light

Ropetangler
19th May 2019, 07:34 PM
Another thing I learned over the last few days is that I cant spray paint as well as I once could. I sprayed mum n dads cars and all of mine when i was a lot younger....and a lot better than this.

Sure looks good from here Eskimo, but it would look a lot better in my shed me thinks.:2tsup:

YBAF
19th May 2019, 09:17 PM

I can see bare floor in that piccy - yer obviously not fully tooled up yet..:U

eskimo
19th May 2019, 09:29 PM
Sure looks good from here Eskimo, but it would look a lot better in my shed me thinks.:2tsup:

No...i can assure you it looks better in mine

eskimo
19th May 2019, 09:31 PM
I can see bare floor in that piccy - yer obviously not fully tooled up yet..:U

I need a bigger shed

shaper07
25th May 2019, 07:08 PM
eskimo
where did you get the plans or did you design it
steve

eskimo
26th May 2019, 11:13 AM
eskimo
where did you get the plans or did you design it
steve

found it on the net...and change the tracking and tension arm supports to mimic the newer version of KMG Belt Grinders. I googled KMG images saved and scaled and copied as best I could...and all worked out okay

google KMG spring dimensions and you will find them on another forum..but I just used what I had as it was close...and although a bit heavier/harder I moved backwards to supports to prevent it being so harsh a movement on the tension arm.

shaper07
26th May 2019, 06:13 PM
thanks eskimo
steve

KBs PensNmore
26th May 2019, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the WIP report and the link to where you got the ideas from.:2tsup:
Kryn