PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Adze

Zsteve
27th Jul 2018, 09:53 PM
One of the members at our local blacksmithing group had wanted to repurpose a old claw hammer into a small bowl adze.
So after few months of not much action on that front I thought I'd give it a go myself one afternoon to see how it would work out. Didn't weigh it to begin with but it was probably a 20oz hammer.

I have reforged a few ball pein's and the steel is hard/tough and the claw hammer was no different. didn't get shots of everything...

initial shaping was using a heavy angled bending die in the fly press to spread it sideways and length ways made easy work of it - really needed a slightly more rounded die but sort of worked out ok.

374414 in the gas forge 374415 v bending die in background top bending die not pictured (chrome top die is a flattening die)

374416 bottom hardy was used but a solid diameter may have been better 374417 here it is still hot just flattening out indentations with the ball pein.

A few shots. rough forged, rough ground. Didn't quite have the right wheel for the inner radius
374418 374419 374420 374421 374422

Was still quite hard even with basically just an Air quench, but when I ground the bevel it was clear it was not hard enough. So cleaned it up more on a 120 grit belt then heated to dull red and quenched in some oil - came out nice and hard, then tempered to mid straw colour. Brownish patches near cutting edge are not temper colour but came from the wood I tried it on after a quick sharpen. Really kept its edge well even after some use. will of course have to get a decent handle.

374423 374424

will have to make a few more I think.

cheers