PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor types

kenny_10
27th Jun 2018, 02:07 PM
Hi ... picked up a vintage Fanmaster 32 inch pedestal fan recently.. guy said it just stopped working one day.

removing the rear cover i seen that the capacitor had melted somewhat and had popped open..
The cap was a Plessey 4uF ..440V, with temp rating of 40/085/56.... roughly the size of a "D" battery !
I plugged in a 12uF to see if there was no other damage , and the fan started no probs.
I understand that I have to replace the cap with an identical rated one, but what about those small rectangular ones for air cons and ceiling fans ?..they are half the size and half the price of the original..
Ken

russ57
28th Jun 2018, 10:31 PM
So long as it is a 'run' capacitor. Same capacity, same or greater voltage rating., same temperature rating . Should be good. Capacitors like just about all electronic components have shrunk over the years
Make sure the new one is not an 'electrolytic' - they are polarised and will go bang on ac.

Russ

Grahame Collins
29th Jun 2018, 06:06 PM
ADDED BY ADMIN

DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by UBeaut or the Metal Working Forum's administrators
or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
or asking questions regarding electrical work.
We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.

WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
Members following such information do so at their own risk