PDA

View Full Version : Starting at the bottom again

elanjacobs
18th Jun 2018, 10:46 PM
Hi All,

Some of you will know me from WWF.

I'm starting a Fitting and Turning apprenticeship with a gear manufacturer in 6 weeks and really looking forward to it.

Can anyone suggest some reading material? I have a copy of Fitting and Machining from TAFE Publications which I'm finding really good, what else is worth looking for to start out?

Also, what tools should I be looking at? I have already picked up 25mm, 50mm and 75mm Starrett mics (there's a nice 0-150mm set on ebay with standards, but I didn't see it until after I bought the 3) as well as various squares, bevels and levels - all Starrett as well. I do want a nice set of every day calipers as I don't really think using a master set on the shop floor is a great idea, the question being Starrett, Mitutoyo or TESA? Should I be going digital for everything possible, or stick to analog?

Look forward to learning lots here and hopefully contributing down the track.

caskwarrior
18th Jun 2018, 11:09 PM
Good news! I find that calipers both get dropped and abused i definitely go for mitutoyo, nothing fancier.
If it's the gear shop I think it is in the south east you are welcome to come by my little shop near moorabbin airport for a chat sometime.

Regards Ralph

elanjacobs
18th Jun 2018, 11:13 PM
Thanks, I definitely will once I've started. It sounds like I'll be around the corner from you at the big gear shop just past the airport