PDA

View Full Version : PM Research 2A

bwal74
10th Jun 2018, 07:14 PM
Hi,

Just finished a PM Research 2A Oscillating engine kit. You can see in one of the photo's I got a bit distracted and drilled a hole through the standard. Fixed it up with a mixture of aluminium swarf (its a aluminium casting) and epoxy glue. Runs on air.

Ben.

jack620
10th Jun 2018, 08:40 PM
Any plans to make a boiler and run it one steam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwal74
11th Jun 2018, 09:24 AM
I'm looking into buying a pre-made boiler. My soldering skills are pretty terrible.

Ben.

colnjulia
21st Sep 2018, 03:27 PM
An alternative to your solution is Devcon product called Fasmetal, it is an aluminium epoxy product used the refrigeration industry for repairing aluminium evaporators, when cured it looks just like aluminium and can be filed, drilled etc.

NedsHead
21st Sep 2018, 03:54 PM
I must have been really "distracted" when I drilled and counter-bored this hole in my little oscillating engine:P

Managed to save the part by turning a brass plug and soft soldering it in place then re-drilling and counter-boring in the correct location.

Ben.

BaronJ
21st Sep 2018, 10:24 PM
Hi Ben,

Nice fix !

Seems I'm not the only one to drill holes where I shouldn't. :doh:

NedsHead
21st Sep 2018, 10:45 PM
Fixing my mistakes are some of my proudest and challenging accomplishments :D

eskimo
22nd Sep 2018, 11:15 AM
it is an aluminium epoxy product used the refrigeration industry for repairing aluminium evaporators,

good luck with that...never ever seen any thing repair a leaking evaporator long term...seen some very short term fixes tho which can not be seen a repair!!
Unless approved by ARC (ie the Australian Govt) a temporary fix is illegal