PDA

View Full Version : New member from the Netherlands

jpjms
7th Jun 2018, 12:10 AM
Hi,
I joined this forum yesterday; hoping to learn and in time contribute.My regular job is IT systems administrator. Since a year or two I've been using my mill (an Optimum BF20L) and my lathes (first a chinese lathe, but a couple of months ago I stumbled upon my new pride and joy, an Hembrug DR1S from the mid to late 50's.). What I had to get used to was how easily you can destroy something you've been working on for hours by making one slight mistake. There are no backups you can place back with these machines, you can start over again. Anyways, I have a lot to learn.

Here's a picture of my Hembrug

caskwarrior
8th Jun 2018, 12:03 AM
Welcome to a great forum, a few Hembrugs made their way out here to Australia where this forum is based, they are a beautifully made machine. Yours looks like a fantastic example too. Does it have the 3 speed motor?

KBs PensNmore
8th Jun 2018, 12:35 AM
Welcome to a top Forum, thanks for the pic of your lathe.
Kryn (Krijn)

BobL
8th Jun 2018, 10:25 AM
Welcome and yes that is a very nice lathe

What I had to get used to was how easily you can destroy something you've been working on for hours by making one slight mistake. There are no backups you can place back with these machines, you can start over again.

Reminds me of using my wood work lathe to turn up a knife handle using for the first time my new dust extraction system. After spending some time shaping it and feeling very pleased with myself I parted it off and I expected it to just fall onto the bench instead it was sucked up and minced into sawdust by the extractor impeller. I now place some mesh over the dust port when I part off.

old1955
8th Jun 2018, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

jpjms
8th Jun 2018, 07:12 PM
It indeed has the 3 speed motor. I took it out last week to get it refurbished. The lowest speed works fine, but the other two speeds weren't working that well. The engine started smoking after about half a minute and I blew a few fuses. Luckily, the lowest speed still works fine. I took it to a factory nearby, they're restoring the engine to it's original state. Buying a new one would be cheaper, but I kind of like to keep this lathe as original as possible. Here's a picture of the motor

caskwarrior
9th Jun 2018, 12:19 AM
Trust me when i say buying a new 3 speed dahlander wound motor is not cheap, I was quoted nearly 1900 euros for one when I was looking for one for my Hembrug. Nice to know some get looked after so well.

What year is Yours, it looks early as the speed control shifter is different as is the bottom of the cast base.

jpjms
10th Jun 2018, 01:41 AM
It's probably a 1950's era-machine; I'm not sure which year, but it's pre-1961 for sure. Inside of the machine I found a manual from a dutch car-factory, dated 1958; I guess that could be around the time this machine was made. I bought it for 500 euros from a friend of mine; the machine belonged to his father in law who's in his eighties now and lives in a home for the elderly. This guy was kind of a horder. I must admit that first I didn't know what I exactly was looking at. I was looking for a modern lathe, and there was this ancient thing; I had never heard of Hembrug. The machine stood in a small dark wooden shed, covered in dust, rust, and all kinds of junk. So at first I declined the offer (initial asking price was 750 euros; looking back that would have been a great price as well). Later he said I could take it for 500. I couldn't let it pass for that price. I've been fixing it up for the past few months and now I'm very happy with it. Machines like this go for somewhere between 2500 and 5000 euros in the Netherlands.