PDA

View Full Version : So, I kinda stumbled in here by accident...

Colin62
20th May 2018, 11:17 PM
I’m more of a wood worker, mostly turning, but am interested in just about anything (I’ve even tried knitting). I was following BobL’s thread o. The woodworking forums, and couldn’t see some of the pictures, which he’d uploaded here, so I registered here too.

A few months ago, a member of our local wood workers guild was looking for an old Myford ML8 on behalf of a collector, and I sold mine to him as I hadn’t used it in years. He then mention that he was selling an old Myford ML7 that he had tuned up, and seeing that I was offered double what I thought I’d get for the ML8, I threw in a little extra and took the ML7.

I’m a real beginner, but have spent time playing with the lathe (mostly using plastic) to familiarise myself with the layout and controls. The idea isn’t to switch hobbies, but rather to use the metal lathe to supplement what I do already. I’m thinking that it’s going to be useful for making ferrules, cutting threads and doing more accurate sizing. And also to knock up little bits that I can’t find elsewhere. I have even managed to make a new axle for the runner on my sliding door (no one sells that style of runner anymore), and a pin to replace the one that broke in the shower head while I had some guests. I’m still a way off making it a profitable investment though :)

As far as my workshop is concerned, I have a fair amount of space filled with a lot of old tools and junk. On the metal work side, I have the lathe, a vertical slide to do small milling on, a cheap and nasty drill press, a couple of grinders, a small angle grinder and the odd file and hacksaw. There are a couple of bits missing on my lathe, mostly the guards that cover the belts and gear box. I’ve been trying to collect them, but shipping from the UK is expensive - I’m based in South Africa.

I also have the wood work side where I have a couple of lathes, a dust extractor, and quite a few hand tools (planes, chisels, saws and so on) and a couple of electric hand tools. I have an old band saw which has an idler shaft I can use to reduce the speed to use with metal, although it’s primarily for cutting wood blanks.

I also have a couple of old Minis in progress and more spanners than I could justify owning, but somehow they keep following me home.

KBs PensNmore
20th May 2018, 11:49 PM
Welcome to a Top Forum Colin.
Kryn

BobL
21st May 2018, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the dark and dirty side. "You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave"

old1955
21st May 2018, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the forum Colin.

Grahame Collins
25th May 2018, 04:06 PM
Hi Colin62

Welcome to the Forum
Look out for a PM with some links to help you work your way around the forum.

Grahame