PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Adelaide

Gassy
12th May 2018, 10:51 AM
Hi All.

My background is I am an Electronics Engineer but I started with an apprenticeship, that was 35 years ago, and to broaden our skills we also did welding, sheetmetal, fitting and turning, so I got a pretty good grounding. Trouble is it's really only sheetmetal that I kept any real skills in, and those were basic anyway.

These days I make musical instruments for a hobby, mostly bagpipes, and whilst that's mostly wood turning it has snowballed into all sorts of metalwork for various fittings, reamers and other jigs and tools. The trouble is many of those are not commercially available so I am going to have to make my own.

So here I am, all help appreciated.

old1955
12th May 2018, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

KBs PensNmore
12th May 2018, 06:34 PM
Hi Gassy, Welcome to a Top Forum. Please post pics of what you make, as we love pics and WIP (Work In Progress) reports. If you have a problem please attach a pic or two, of the problem or a sketch of what you're wanting to make, also list any machines, tools you have access to, as it makes it hard to suggest something, without knowing whats available.
Where abouts in Adelaide are you, as we have a few members in town.
Kryn

Gassy
12th May 2018, 07:40 PM
I'm in Henley Beach, as for metalworking machines, not much, a crap drill press is it apart from various hand power tools but I'm on the lookout for a better drill press and a engineers lathe.

coongoola
13th May 2018, 02:25 AM
Wow I don't think I've known a bagpipe maker before, only luthiers which I acquired a guitar from years ago. It must be an interesting hobby. Where do you source the parts from or do you make most of the parts yourself.

I went the the Grafton Jacaranda festival recently and they had lots of pipe bands which have always fascinated me since I was a young boy.

Cheers

Pat

BobL
13th May 2018, 07:56 AM
Welcome.

In high school the worst form of punishment was weekly after school detention session in the gym while the headmaster practiced the bag pipes. He told us he was just a learner so it sounded pretty bad but we later found out he was quite accomplished when he left the school. At his farewell school assembly he belted out a coupe of tunes that sounded fantastic