PDA

View Full Version : Anvil Question

joez
10th May 2018, 05:34 PM
Spotted this for sale near me, that casting seam looks unusual. Does that mean it cast iron? or possibly unfinished?

Description: 630 length 280 high 225 wide Brand new never used for work just been stored away

BobL
10th May 2018, 11:12 PM
I just looks an unfinished cast to me.
Some anvils have a hardface plate added to the top - depends what they are cast from.

DSEL74
14th May 2018, 04:40 PM
Yes that is definitely a cast anvil. You can see the parting line on the top and down below, but also the two turning lugs on the side indicate it is cast. The turning lugs also indicate it was a farriers anvil.

As to cast iron well maybe, may also be SG cast iron or cast steel. If it is common grey cast iron, it isn’t going to be much good.

joez
14th May 2018, 05:49 PM
Yes that is definitely a cast anvil. You can see the parting line on the top and down below, but also the two turning lugs on the side indicate it is cast. The turning lugs also indicate it was a farriers anvil.

As to cast iron well maybe, may also be SG cast iron or cast steel. If it is common grey cast iron, it isn’t going to be much good.

Thanks, is there an easy way to tell if its cast iron or steel?

DSEL74
14th May 2018, 05:56 PM
Thanks, is there an easy way to tell if its cast iron or steel?

The way to test any anvil is the rebound test take a 25mm ballbearing and a 30cm ruler drop the ball bearing from the top of the ruler an see how high it bounces back up. Repeat a few times and take an average. You want at least a 70% rebound.

Cast steel should ring more than cast iron which is considered pretty dead. Cast iron will be softer and tend to dent. But don’t think they will wanting you to bash their anvil with a hammer.

If you buy it and flatten the top a spark test may give you an indication also but you have spent your money then.

Sorry I can’t be more help than that.

What do you intend to use it for?