PDA

View Full Version : my masterpiece....only hopes it lasts

eskimo
2nd Apr 2018, 02:47 PM

another dead blow hammer...for a mate

scottyd
2nd Apr 2018, 06:49 PM
Thats a lovely looking tool. The finishing work done to the wedges is particularly nice, you dont get that with bought tools these days, just pour a bit of dyed epoxy in there and pretend its all good inside.

eskimo
2nd Apr 2018, 08:53 PM
Thats a lovely looking tool. The finishing work done to the wedges is particularly nice, you dont get that with bought tools these days, just pour a bit of dyed epoxy in there and pretend its all good inside.
Thanks
Only hope the head doesnt fly off ...but being hard lead ends not too much force should be used to seat things.

China
3rd Apr 2018, 02:05 AM
You will be the first to know (wear your hard hat )

eskimo
3rd Apr 2018, 02:29 PM
You will be the first to know (wear your hard hat )

not me...a mate...i'll be second I guess

tanii51
6th Apr 2018, 01:39 PM
are the lead bits screw in if they are how did you mold then and make the thread
john

azzrock
15th Apr 2018, 04:21 AM
Hard lead. What will he use this hammer for,?

simonl
15th Apr 2018, 11:18 AM
Looks bloody nice to me.

Simon

eskimo
18th Apr 2018, 10:00 PM
Steel tinned and molten lead poured onto it

eskimo
18th Apr 2018, 10:03 PM
We (shooters) call it hard lead. It has antimony and other stuff to make it harder than normal lead. But it still is a hell of a lot softer than say annealed copper etc. Its just a dead blow hammer....i use one for seating stuff in the milling vice.

KBs PensNmore
19th Apr 2018, 01:31 AM
I used to use wheel weights for making my .357 projectiles, mixed with reclaimed/found projectiles.
Did you drill and tap the body, then cast the lead into it? Just wondering how you threaded the lead?
Kryn

eskimo
19th Apr 2018, 12:12 PM
I used to use wheel weights for making my .357 projectiles, mixed with reclaimed/found projectiles.
Did you drill and tap the body, then cast the lead into it? Just wondering how you threaded the lead?
Kryn

no threads Kryn. Just tinned the face of the steel and poured the lead into a mould clamped around the steel. Striking forces says the lead should remain in situ. It has on the other I made sometime back, which doesnt show signs of parting