PDA

View Full Version : Questions from some one with little experience.

JOBO1347
3rd Mar 2018, 05:42 AM
So I have done some metal working before, mostly welding and it was not serious, mostly me playing around. I got one of those Kubaton knives off of ebay and wanted to modify it. The Kubaton part is actually really nice and it has become a sort of fidget toy for me. The blade however is crooked and not to my liking. So I would like to remove the blade and add a nail as I feel it would fit my needs more. also this is not and will not be a weapon I want the nail so I can also use it as a pokey to clean my bowls.

So the issue I am having is how to remove the knife. The housing is aluminum while the blade is a cheap steel. The blade is inserted into a round hole (That is one reason I wanted a nail) I can not tell how the blade is held in (and boy is it held in) It could be jbweld or some thing. I was thinking I could cut the blade off just above where it attaches to the housing and then drill it out but I wanted to ask the pros before I destroyed a favorite toy of mine. LIke maybe there is some sort of solvent I could use.

Below is a few pics of the knife. the knife unscrews from the main housing and is screwed back in with the knife being held inside the main housing, If you need more pics I would be happy to upload more

Thank you for your time
Jobo

russ57
4th Mar 2018, 02:53 PM
So I have done some metal working before, mostly welding and it was not serious, mostly me playing around. I got one of those Kubaton knives off of ebay and wanted to modify it. The Kubaton part is actually really nice and it has become a sort of fidget toy for me. The blade however is crooked and not to my liking. So I would like to remove the blade and add a nail as I feel it would fit my needs more. also this is not and will not be a weapon I want the nail so I can also use it as a pokey to clean my bowls.

So the issue I am having is how to remove the knife. The housing is aluminum while the blade is a cheap steel. The blade is inserted into a round hole (That is one reason I wanted a nail) I can not tell how the blade is held in (and boy is it held in) It could be jbweld or some thing. I was thinking I could cut the blade off just above where it attaches to the housing and then drill it out but I wanted to ask the pros before I destroyed a favorite toy of mine. LIke maybe there is some sort of solvent I could use.

Below is a few pics of the knife. the knife unscrews from the main housing and is screwed back in with the knife being held inside the main housing, If you need more pics I would be happy to upload more

Thank you for your time
Jobo

Welcome Jobo
Drilling without a mill will be tricky as the drill will follow the soft aluminium, avoiding the steel blade.
You could try heat, but that has a serious risk of damaging, at least cosmetically, the 'nose' piece.

I guess you could try whatever solvents you have handy, but I don't think it's likely.

I would expect the blade is pressed into place.

Ps, as this is an Australian forum, you need to be aware our idioms are a long way from your presumably US English ..as are our laws around weapons.

I have no idea what a ' pokey for cleaning your bowls' means...

Russ

JOBO1347
4th Mar 2018, 04:02 PM
Thanks man! Do you think sandwiching it between 2 pieces of wood in a vice and pulling on the blade would work. And a pokey is a tool used for cleaning a bowl for like a tobacco pipe. LOL:D

Also this is an up close pic of where the blade connects to the housing

Michael G
4th Mar 2018, 06:17 PM
I'm just wondering whether a better plan may be to grind the blade down to the 'nail' that you want. If the blade is really stuck then you still have a pokey. If the heat from the grinding loosens the glue/ fit into the hole then you can remove the blade and put in the nail...

Michael

Grahame Collins
4th Mar 2018, 07:05 PM
Hi JOBO1347

The knife tang is clearly inserted into something cylindrical, well cylindrically shaped anyway. Is it black anodised aluminium or black Delrin plastic, I can't tell.

I suspect that the tang and is bonded with Loctite or something like JB Weld.

I would try heating the knurled section to a few hundred degrees but not too much as excessive heat could melt the aluminium.
The heat will loosen the bond of the Loctite or JB Weld.

I would lock the blade end in a vice and pull and twist carefully on the knurled body. A small set of vice grips with leather to protect
the knurl from the Vice Grip jaw teeth is necessary.

Use minimal back and forth twists, to begin with as it would be easy to snap off the tang.

Grahame