PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era

Steamwhisperer
10th Feb 2018, 07:25 AM
Hi all
The worst possible thing has officially happened. As of the 2nd of Feb my dream job came to an end.
If anyone has read a newspaper or watched the news this past week you will know there has been a bit of trouble at 'the hill' and I would like to state categorically that I am not the person in question. I in fact handed in my notice before all this went public. At least I will have more time to post on the best forum around as I am now in semi retirement and thoroughly enjoying it.

Phil

DaveTTC
10th Feb 2018, 07:49 AM
That's terrible. I have not kept up wuth the news at all. Have no idea what is happening there.

Enjoy your retirement. If you get bored a visit to Horsham is more than welcome ... I habe lots of old steel [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

.RC.
10th Feb 2018, 08:53 AM
I hope you enjoy your semi retirement Phil.

Some of the women around here would have grabbed it and snapped it in half had that person done that to them.

Steamwhisperer
10th Feb 2018, 08:58 AM
I hope you enjoy your semi retirement Phil.

Some of the women around here would have grabbed it and snapped it in half had that person done that to them.

Thanks Richard, a pity though I never got to give you that tour.
We need some of those women down here that's for sure.

Phil

Steamwhisperer
10th Feb 2018, 09:01 AM
That's terrible. I have not kept up wuth the news at all. Have no idea what is happening there.

Enjoy your retirement. If you get bored a visit to Horsham is more than welcome ... I habe lots of old steel [emoji16]

Sounds like a road trip coming up Dave though I am busy catching up on work around the house which going by the list handed to me should only take about 16 years to complete.

Phil

BobL
10th Feb 2018, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear this Phil. I hope you continue to post here.

Steamwhisperer
10th Feb 2018, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear this Phil. I hope you continue to post here.

Thanks Bob though I am confident that there will be more posting from me.

Phil

Michael G
10th Feb 2018, 09:58 AM
Does this mean we need to find you an old traction engine or something so at least you get the feel of it all occasionally?

Michael

DaveTTC
10th Feb 2018, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a road trip coming up Dave though I am busy catching up on work around the house which going by the list handed to me should only take about 16 years to complete.

PhilIf my life changes for the better I may be able to help you with some projects and you may be able to help me. Win win

Grahame Collins
10th Feb 2018, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear this.

From now I hope all your news will be of the good variety- like winning the lotto or similar.

Only a 16 year to do list - you got off lightly.

Watch out for this retirement stuff ,it can be hard work.

Please keep posting.

Best wishes

Grahame

wheelinround
10th Feb 2018, 05:06 PM
Phil sorry to hear but sooooo glad we made that trip, got the personal tour and met a top bloke to boot along with so many others.

Now will we see more posting of Lake Goldsmith?? Phil steaming up some old traction engine?? Master metalman making dodgy sorry expert master pieces????:U

DSEL74
10th Feb 2018, 10:35 PM
Phil,
I believed that was you that said you grew up around here and still have family in the vicinity so feel free to drop by any time you in the area. Not steam but I do have some stationary engines you can get your hands dirty on if your missing it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pipeclay
11th Feb 2018, 12:41 PM
Why did you resign.

Steamwhisperer
11th Feb 2018, 07:05 PM
Does this mean we need to find you an old traction engine or something so at least you get the feel of it all occasionally?

Michael
Gees Michael, don't tell me you have one of those hidden away somewhere!!
I actually went out and looked at one today that a mate needs some work on. I have no doubt that (with permission) I will be doing a thread on it.
Of course if you did stumble across one...:wink:

Sorry to hear this.

From now I hope all your news will be of the good variety- like winning the lotto or similar.

Only a 16 year to do list - you got off lightly.

Watch out for this retirement stuff ,it can be hard work.

Please keep posting.

Best wishes

Grahame
Guaranteed to start posting again Grahame, been away too long now due to 'stuff' at work. :2tsup:

Steamwhisperer
11th Feb 2018, 07:38 PM
Phil sorry to hear but sooooo glad we made that trip, got the personal tour and met a top bloke to boot along with so many others.

Now will we see more posting of Lake Goldsmith?? Phil steaming up some old traction engine?? Master metalman making dodgy sorry expert master pieces????:U
Thanks for the kind words Ray. I must have known something as I managed to get my old ABN up and running but with a different business name and I can assure you I won't be lounging around on the couch.
I have just returned from an inspection of a traction engine that needs a bit of work.

Phil,
I believed that was you that said you grew up around here and still have family in the vicinity so feel free to drop by any time you in the area. Not steam but I do have some stationary engines you can get your hands dirty on if your missing it all.

Funny you should say that Dale as I just may be returning 'home' in about 3 years, maybe less. Stranger things have happened.
Thanks for the offer, confident I will be taking you up on that.

Why did you resign.
Hi Peter
I will send you a PM to answer this one as I am likely to still be monitored.

Phil

AndrewOC
11th Feb 2018, 09:15 PM
Wow, tough situation, Phil!
All the best for the future, I know your skills will be appreciated all over the place. Hopefully see you more at Goldsmith?
;)
AndrewOC

Steamwhisperer
11th Feb 2018, 10:27 PM
Wow, tough situation, Phil!
All the best for the future, I know your skills will be appreciated all over the place. Hopefully see you more at Goldsmith?
;)
AndrewOC
Thanks Andrew
Definitely will be doing a bit at Lake Goldsmith, we'll be catching up for sure. :2tsup:

Phil

KBs PensNmore
12th Feb 2018, 12:14 AM
Sorry to hear that you've quit the dream job. Thanks for the photos of your repairs that you've done over the years, I've learnt quite a bit from some of your repairs and mods.
Thanks,
Kryn

malb
12th Feb 2018, 11:34 PM
Sorry for you that you left a job that you liked and were heavily committed to for so long, guess some things have been taking their toll there for a while to lead you to that decision. I always appreciated your input, explanations and pics here, and really appreciated the grand tour (Cup weekend 2015). Hope things go well with the semi retirement, that the chores and honeydo's don't get too boring, and that you can find some juicy projects to keep you happily occupied, but not overworked.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steamwhisperer
13th Feb 2018, 10:20 AM
Sorry for you that you left a job that you liked and were heavily committed to for so long, guess some things have been taking their toll there for a while to lead you to that decision. I always appreciated your input, explanations and pics here, and really appreciated the grand tour (Cup weekend 2015). Hope things go well with the semi retirement, that the chores and honeydo's don't get too boring, and that you can find some juicy projects to keep you happily occupied, but not overworked.

Thanks and best wishes.
Thanks Mal
I'm certainly not going to be idle that's for sure. The missus has just been offered a job and the way things are going I might, and I stress 'might', be moving back to Alexandra.
In fact I received a call from one of my old customers there wanting to know when I am coming back. Needless to say I have picked up a bit of work there.
I am very disappointed though at having to leave 'the hill' as it seriously was the best job out there though with all the shenanigans going on at the moment I have probably left at a good time. It's not looking too good for them at the moment.

Phil

wheelinround
13th Feb 2018, 11:32 PM
Darn with all this work lined up how are you ever going to head north to some of the top Old machinery days?

Abratool
14th Feb 2018, 10:08 AM
Phil
A lot of life is in the order of "Form-Norm-Storm" & it sounds like that has been happening in your part of the world.
However.... one door closes & another opens!
Have enjoyed reading & looking at all of your photos & the beaut & interesting work, & talking "Imperial" not that confusing "Metric" stuff.
Reciprocating machines (like Steam Engines & Douglas Shapers etc) are a "Joy to Behold"
Hope you enjoy your new era, & I look forward to Steam Whisperers notes into the future.
Bruce