PDA

View Full Version : Who will be up tonight watching the Supermoon ?

Grahame Collins
31st Jan 2018, 08:40 PM
I usually miss these damn things due to lousy weather. Tonight is clear as a bell.

What about you ? Will you be watching?

Grahame

steamingbill
31st Jan 2018, 09:08 PM
Yep. We have relatively clear skies.

Heard the reason for the red moons on tv last night.

Because its an eclipse, ie. earth between moon and sun, the only light that gets reflected back off the moon is from the sunsets all over the earth, kind of logical if you think about it but I would not have worked it out for myself without hearing the explanation first.

kwijibo99
1st Feb 2018, 10:24 AM
I was out having a look and it was pretty spectacular even through a pair of binoculars.
My daughter is starting to get into photography and wanted to have a crack at shooting it so here's a few of the photos.

371825 371826

371827 371828

371829 371830

371831 371832

It got harder and harder to shoot as the eclipse progressed until it got to the point that the exposures got long enough to blur due to the movement.
Cheers,
Greg.

.RC.
1st Feb 2018, 10:46 AM
I stayed up and watched it with gun in hand waiting for the zombie apocalypse. Then it did not happen, so I went to bed.

Be nice if solar eclipses were more widespread, they are more interesting. I have seen a part of one, the landscape went an eerily grey scale colour, the likes of which I have never seen before.

Oldgreybeard
3rd Feb 2018, 08:48 AM
Photo I took in Melbourne

bwal74
3rd Feb 2018, 10:42 AM
We wanted to but sleep overtook us...

Grahame Collins
3rd Feb 2018, 02:45 PM
With all the blood moon, blue moon, super moon hoopla from the media I watched it expecting something I never got to see.

I will say I am glad I stayed up though, as it was interesting and something I will never see again in my lifetime.

Blood moon, nahh! More like dull rust colour moon but that doesn't make good press or tv does it?

Grahame

BobL
3rd Feb 2018, 06:31 PM
Anytime the moon is visible you can get any colour you like with a piece of coloured cellophane placed across a pair of eyeglass frames.

steve.rsa
4th Feb 2018, 11:38 PM
Photo I took in Melbourne
371840What was your setup? Awesome photo.

Oldgreybeard
5th Feb 2018, 08:38 AM
Nikon 400mm lens on Nikon D800 DSLR. The equipment helps, of course, but really it is all about getting the exposure right. Many shots that I have seen are under / over exposed with little colour - the image you see is in shadow -it wouldn't be an eclipse otherwise - so exposure has to be adjusted accordingly.

If anyone is interested, I am running a training course on the sister forum - Photo Forums Australia. There is a link to the Photo and Woodworking forums on the banner of each page in the Metalworkforums.
Understanding your camera - Part 1 - PhotoForums (http://photoforums.com.au/forum/photographic-help/tutorials/getting-to-know-your-camera/8006-understanding-your-camera-part-1)

Cheers

Bob