PDA

View Full Version : New Member!

Jislizard
24th Jan 2018, 01:51 PM
Hi, my name is Mark, I am currently living in Brisbane.

I have done a bit of blacksmithing, depending on your definition, mostly for fun, one day I will complete one of the projects I have started.

I have come over from the woodwork forum, once again, I will finish some of the projects I started over there too.

I think I got carried away watching YouTube videos because I am saving up aluminium cans, I have no place to keep a smelter and no use for anything cast in aluminium but it looks like a lot of fun.

Also collecting the black sand off the beach in case I ever have a few spare days to make iron, you never know.

Most projects I have started have involved making boxes, or hinges for boxes, and although not much progress has been made, I have learned a fair bit about what not to do.

Cheers
Mark

russ57
24th Jan 2018, 01:53 PM
Welcome...

Remember the rules of blacksmithing.
1. Get it hot
2. Hit it hard.....

-russ

Jislizard
24th Jan 2018, 01:55 PM
I have made many fine sparklers that way!

Turns out I didn't really need to do blacksmithing for the projects I was working on, I just needed a gas torch and a vice, but hitting metal was fun so I stuck at it.

old1955
24th Jan 2018, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum Mark.

Grahame Collins
28th Jan 2018, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum,
The black sand is ilmanite or rutile, both forms of titanium oxide.
I have a 20 litre drum which I was going to use as sandblast medium, but it's softer than it appears to be.
It is very heavy for what it is.

Good luck with your blacksmith projects.
Grahame

Jislizard
29th Jan 2018, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the Forum,
The black sand is ilmanite or rutile, both forms of titanium oxide.
I have a 20 litre drum which I was going to use as sandblast medium, but it's softer than it appears to be.
It is very heavy for what it is.

Good luck with your blacksmith projects.
Grahame

Thanks!

I have been collecting it with a magnet so I always assumed it was magnetite!

I will see what I can do with ilmanite instead. It will give me something to Google

Cheers
Mark